Chapter 18

Vincent turned and he saw her. Sucking in a breath, he knew what he had done.
She looked pale and sickly, gazing down at her child with a fear none of them could imagine. Tears were already flooding her eyes as she stumbled next to her dead son. "Oh god why?" She sobbed, holding her head in her hands.
The next person who entered the room was also familiar. Vincent held back the urge to bash his head in. "Nicole-" he paused when he saw her. His eyes were wide with confusion before they clouded. "No. Oh my god. Oh, please no." Jeremy shoved Scott out of the way to join Nicole at the boy's side.
"We have to call someone." Nicole cried, her nose running. "Oh, my poor baby." She bawled in despair.
Jeremy looked up, grief clouding his gaze when his eyes locked on Vincent who was standing not to far off and his gaze hardened.
"You." He shouted, leaping to his feet.
"Jeremy, wait, I didn't.." Vincent tried to explain but Jeremy threw him against the wall and punched him in the stomach, knocking the wind out of him.
"You killed my son, you sick bastard." Jeremy roared, his fists raining down on him. Vincent managed to make eye contact with Nicole, but she looked away, her cold safe blank. He felt his heart break. She blamed him. It was his fault. He suddenly felt numb to Jeremy's punches. He killed a child.
"What's going on here?" Isaac rushed into the room and surveyed the scene before hurrying to Vincent's aid. "Mr. Fitzgerald!" Isaac heaved him off of Vincent, distancing the two of them.
"That bastard killed my son!" Jeremy hollered.
Isaac remained impassive, still unsure of what to do. "Just stay calm, please."
"Stay calm!?" Jeremy laughed, almost hysteric. "Oh, fuck this." Vincent felt his heart fly into his throat when he saw Jeremy reveal a small hand gun. "I've wanted to kill you for awhile now, Connelly." Jeremy snarled, insanity creeping into his voice as he waved the gun in Vincent's face.
"Don't hurt him!" Scott pleaded, trying to grab Jeremy's arm.
Jeremy shook him off and sneered at him. "You want to die with this murderer?"
"Scott.. Don't.." Vincent tried to talk him out of confronting Jeremy, who looked like he'd just risen from the dead.
Nicole was standing now, paving the room, her eyes wide and terrified. It pained Vincent to see her like this and guilt stabbed at his icy heart.
"I'm going to enjoy this." Jeremy held the gun up, aiming carefully at Vincent. He closed his eyes, praying that the suffering would end there and that he'd be free to see Fritz again. He wasn't scared of death anymore. He welcomed the idea now. Watching the love of his life stare at him so coldly.. So blankly.. It hurt more than anything. Being shot to death was nothing compared to what he felt in his heart.
He heard the shot ring out through the restaurant and he heard Isaac gasp and Nicole let out a small squeak of terror. Only it wasn't him who the bullet had struck.