Chapter 17

He turned quickly, and in the process, knocking over the bottle of rat poison which had a loose cap because it spilled out over the cookie.
"Damn it." He cursed under his breathe, swiftly putting the bottle upright again. Rolling his eyes at his own stupidity, he turned his attention to the footsteps. A little boy with unruly dark brown hair was gazing up at the animatronics in wonder. He looked to only be about 3 years old. Vincent watched him, curious as to why the child was alone, but he ignored his thoughts and looked back at the mess he made. Scowling, he knew he'd have to ask Scott for a roll of paper towels to clean it up. He strolled away, almost completely forgetting about the child.
"Scott, I accidentally spilled some of the poison, I need something to wipe it up." Vincent called from in front of the counter. He heard Scott rummaging in the back for awhile before he appeared with a brand new role of paper towels.
"Make sure you get ALL of it." Scott advised, handing it to him.
"Yes-" Vincent began to murmur but he heard something coming from the stage. A choking noise. The kid! Panicking, Vincent rushed towards the sound, his heart heavy in his chest.
He could feel Scott's presence beside him, and he could sense his confusion.
They skidded to a halt right in front of the child who was scratching at his throat, terror evident in his eyes. He then doubled over and vomited all over the flooring, his tiny chest heaving with the effort.
"Scott, call an ambulance! I need to get him to throw this up." Vincent knelt beside him and saw the culprit, the cookie laying beside the small boy. A huge bite had been taken out of it and Vincent felt himself begin to panic. He was to small and to young to have taken such a strong dose of poison. Scott was beginning to scurry away and Vincent pulled the boy into his arms. His small head rolled to the side, limply, and his blue eyes fluttered.
"Come on. Come on, kid." Vincent pleaded, pressing on his stomach, praying he would throw up. Scott hasn't even gotten to the phone when the child convulsed and slid out of Vincent's grasp. He was limp and Vincent prodded him gently.
"I-I think he's dead." Vincent cried out in shock. "Oh god, I killed him!"
"No! Vincent you tried to save him, it was an honest mistake." Scott tried to soothe him.
"I left the cookie there when I knew very well it was contaminated with poison!" Vincent snarled, running his fingers through his hair.
"He shouldn't have been out here all alone." Scott explained, but that didn't help. Vincent had contributed to the death of a child. The small boy still wasn't breathing and he looked.. Peaceful. Vincent shuddered and felt tears stinging his eyes. What had he done?
"We need to find the parents-" Scott began to tell him but they were cut off by a woman's scream.
"Teddy!" A familiar voice shrieked in terror.

A/N: I am aware of my previous book where I stated that Vincent HAD killed teddy (the marionette) but it was really just an accident. That was TEDDY'S recollection. This is Vincent's side of the story. Thank you for all the comments, votes and follows! Love you guys! ~Maddie <3