Chapter 6

"Where have you been?" Nicole jogged up to him on the sidewalk. He quickened his stride, not answering. He had been avoiding her the past few days since Fritz's death. He was avoiding everyone.
"Vincent, please." Nicole reached out to touch him but he shied away. He ignored the look of hurt that registered on her face. "It wasn't your fault."
He finally stopped walking and turned to face her. His eyes burned as he ran his fingers through his unruly dark hair, aggravated. "But it is." He whispered in grief. "I watched them kill my brother. I just stood there like a coward. It should have been me."
Nicole gasped in dismay. "Don't ever say that! Vincent, no one blames you."
"You don't think I can see the pain in my mother's eyes. The disgust when she looks at me." He fought back the urge to raise his voice. "I should have been stronger, and next time, I will be." He snarled. Nicole looked horrified and backed up slightly. He suddenly felt a strong urge to protect her. He wouldn't let this happen again.
"Next time?" She squeaked, barely audible.
"I have to go. I'll see you later." He stalked away. She stood, staring at him, obviously dumbfounded. He was going to protect her. He was going to avenge his brother. His jaw clenched with anticipation. The next time he sees those fuckers he'll tear them to shreds. He'd make sure they suffered. He felt darkness grip at his heart and his thoughts shocked him but also excited him. He thought back to the sight of blood on his finger. Next time it would be stained with their blood. He glanced back at Nicole who looked after him worriedly. He felt sorry for the way he treated his friend. It'll be worth it, Nicole. He thought to himself. I'm going to make everyone pay the price for his brother's death.

He was pinned to the wall. His long time bully, Joe was looming over him, smirking. He desperately wanted to wipe that stupid smirk off his face.
"Where's your girlfriend, Vincent?" He taunted, snorting with laughter.
"I don't need her protection." Vincent snarled before slamming his fist into Joe's stomach, sending him sprawling back.
Shocked, Joe roared in outrage and rushed at Vincent although he was faster. Vincent dove out of the way and tripped Joe. He landed on the grass clumsily, on all fours.
Vincent stood over him and kicked him swiftly in the stomach. Groaning in agony, Joe rolled over on his back, looking up at him in fear.
"You'd better get out of here." Vincent warned, giving him time to scramble to his feet.
Joe immediately shot up and jogged away, casting a fearful look at Vincent before he disappeared into the school building. Vincent's adrenaline was pumping. He felt alive. He wanted to fight more. He glanced over his shoulder and saw Nicole staring at him, eyes wide.
"I can't believe you just did that." She rushed over, slightly impressed.
"I had to." He shrugged, not making eye contact with her.
"You're bleeding." She commented, reaching up to wipe it off his cheek. He pushed her hand away gently.
"I don't mind it." Vincent murmured, as he started to walk away, he felt Nicole's presence beside him and he instantly felt warm inside.