Chapter 13

He plopped down at his kitchen table, tiredly rubbing his eyes. He's just fucked himself over big time. Sighing, he got up and maneuvered his way around his beat up couch and sauntered to the bathroom. Bent over the bathroom sink, he looked himself over in the mirror. He was a wreck. His blue eyes were dull and dark circles surrounded them, making him look older. That's what you get when you hardly ever sleep. His mind stated pointedly. His black hair was long and fell across his eyes, darkening them. He actually quite liked that. Taking a closer look, he saw the wound Alyssa had inflicted was still trickling blood. Scowling, he wet the already damp towel next to his sink and dabbed at it. Sucking in a deep breath, he wiped the blood away, staining the grimy towel in the process. He took another look to make sure it looked better. Good enough for him, he couldn't bare to look at his reflection anymore. It seemed to mock him. What had he let himself become?
You're heartless.
He flinched at the sting of Nicole's words again. He blew it. That's what he always did. He heard a knock at his front door and he warily made his way over. Of course, it was his landlord, who was on him about his rent again.
"I'll get it to you by the end of this month." Vincent muttered, attempting to shut the door, but his landlord lodged his foot in between the door frame and the door itself. He wasn't a charming fellow. He looked like he hadn't bothered to shave in quite some time and his hair was thin and graying. Vincent held back a snort of contempt at the weak man but he held his tongue.
"You'd better get it to me, Vincent, or you're out of here at the end of the month." He spat, his yellowing teeth making Vincent cringe.
"Alright. Don't get your panties in a twist." Vincent snapped, finally slamming the door closed and locking it.
Satisfied, he plopped down on the sofa and glared at the newspaper he'd picked up at the curb before walking home. He smoothed it out and flipped through it before tossing it on his battered coffee table. His apartment was nothing special. It was pretty much a dump and he never tried to make it feel like home. There was no home for him. He sighed gently, reminiscing about the times he shared with Nicole in the woods. Oh, how the times had changed. He frowned and ran his fingers through his hair, pulling at it gently. He heard a knock at the door again and his head swiveled towards it. If it was his landlord again, he was sure to loose his mind. Clenching his fist and stalked over and flung the door open. Outside, a man around Vincent's age was glancing down at his shoes but he jumped backwards.
"Who are you?" Vincent narrowed his eyes suspiciously at him.
"H-hi.. I think I have the wrong apartment." He stuttered, frightened and embarrassed.
"I asked who you are." Vincent responded pointedly.
"Oh.. Uh.. I'm Scott. I'm a.. Pizza delivery guy." Scott rubbed his shoulder.
"Where do you work?" Vincent leaned against the door frame, studying him.
"Why are you interrogating me?" Scott squeaked. Vincent grinned, satisfied that he was messing with him.
"Just curious." Vincent raised an eyebrow.
"It's going out of business." He looked back down at his feet. "Being bought by some dude. Being converted to a kids restaurant." Scott explained nervously. He looked down the hallway and Vincent could tell he wanted to leave.
Intrigued, Vincent stepped aside, less hostile. "Hiring?"
"Huh?" Scott lifted his head. His brown eyes bore into Vincent's and he suddenly felt odd.
"Is the new owner hiring?" Vincent was now annoyed with him. He had been clear about it.
"Oh.. Yes. Actually." Scott fished around in his pocket and pulled his fist out, revealing a crumpled up business card. "The number's right here."
"Fantastic." Vincent's eyes gleamed as he took it from him. "I'll be sure to look into it." He then smoothed it out and snorted.
"I gotta get going. Hey, maybe we'll work together soon." Scott tried to sound cheerful but Vincent could tell he was less than thrilled about the thought.
"Before you leave." Vincent stepped forward and blocked him from the hallway. Scott tensed up and Vincent almost laughed aloud. He was no match for Vincent. Anyways, he didn't want to hurt the dweeb. "What is this new restaurant's name?"
Scott paused and exhaled slowly. He desperately wanted to leave, but Vincent guarded the hallway.
Finally, he decided to tell him.
"Freddy Fazbears."