𝟷.𝟸𝟶

Operation: Surprise Thalia For Her Birthday
-Thalia-

It's been a week since I've spoken to EJ. Things have been awkward during rehearsals. Miss Jenn has criticized us for not "feeling" something there or any of our duet songs.

So now we have a workshop. To work on the end duet. I walk into the auditorium and on the stage. It seems that I'm the only one there, until EJ walks in.

Great. Now I have to be alone with EJ.

"Hey, Thalia," he greets lowly.

"Hey," I nod at him.

"Look can we just-"

"Okay!" Miss Jenn claps her hands together as she walks into the room, followed by Carlos They sit in the front row as EJ and I stand on the stage. "We're working on the End Duet! Places! Carlos, the track?"

Carlos nods and the track starts playing. EJ lays on the ground and I kneel next to him.

"You came back!" EJ whispers acting like he's injured.

"If only I had come sooner," I sigh and place my hand on his cheek.

"Maybe it's better this way," he places his hand on mine.

"No!" I scold him. "Don't talk like that. We're together now. Everything will be fine."

"At least I get to see you one last time..." he then looks into my eyes. And, for a second, it feels like he's not acting anymore.

"We are home. We are where we shall be forever," I sing. "Trust in me. For you know I won't run away. From today. This is all that I need. And all that I need to say is... Don't you know how you've changed me. Strange how I finally see. I found bone. You're my home. Stay with me."

EJ then shuts his eyes.

"No! No, please! Don't leave me!" I shout. A tear escapes from my eye. "I love you!"

EJ's eyes open. But he immediately shuts them.

~
🎥

"Of course she's acting. It's in the script," EJ scoffs. "There's no way she actually means that."

~

Then there is in instrumental break. He then stands up. I stand up with him.

"Belle, look into my eyes!" He sings. "Belle, don't you recognize the beast within the man who's here before you?"

"It's you!" I exclaim.

"Two lives have begun now. Two hearts become one now. One passion, one dream. One thing forever true!" We sing together. "I love you."

He then leans down and kisses me but immediately pulls away.

"Okay, then!" Miss Jenn exclaims with widened eyes. "Good job, you two. Um... you guys can go."

I dash off the stage and grab my bag. I run out of the auditorium and into the halls.

"Thalia!" I hear behind me. It's EJ. I ignore him and jog out of the school.

What's the matter with him?
Does he think he can just kiss me and fix everything?

~~~

I wake up to my alarm. It's my birthday.

yay.

Not actually, though. It's gonna be my 4th birthday alone in a row. And things are rocky with EJ and we were gonna hang out together today. But I don't think that's happening anymore.

I let out a sigh and pick up my phone. No texts. Not one. Not even one from my parents. I place down my phone in dismay and then lay back down. Then I realize it's Wednesday and I still have school.

I let out a groan and roll out of my bed. Just then my phone starts ringing.

I pick it up to see Alaina. I hit the answer button and then Alaina starts screaming, "Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday, dear Thalia! Happy Birthday to you!"

I let out a chuckle at her goofiness.

"Congrats, Alaina. You're officially the first to wish me a happy birthday!" I chuckle as I bring the phone to my ear.

"Let's go!" She exclaims with a laugh.

"So, do you have any plans for tonight?" She asks.

"Nope. I'm gonna stay at home and watch movies," I reply.

"What?! That's no way to spend your birthday! After school we're gonna go to the mall and go shopping. Then we're gonna go get our nails done and massages," Alaina corrects me.

"Okay," I chuckle. "But, seriously, I have to get ready for school. Bye!"

"Bye, I love you!" She screams into the microphone.

"My eardrums don't love you," I laugh.

We then hang up.

~~~
-EJ-

"Okay, guys, the plan is simple!" Alaina tells us as we're in a huddle. "While I'm at the mall and spa with Thalia, you guys are gonna decorate her house for her party. EJ, how's the special surprise coming along?"

"It's good. They're on their way," I reply.

"Good. Okay! Here are the keys to her house," She hands the keys to Nini.

"Got it," Nini nods.

"EJ, you're gonna oversee all of this, right?" Alaina asks.

"Yup," I nod. "I have the plan."

"Good, let's hear it," Alaina nods.

"Okay, Carlos, Gina, and Seb, I'm gonna have you guys work on balloons and streamers," I begin listing off people's jobs. "Nini and Ricky, I'm gonna have you two work on the banner and other wall decorations. Big Red and Ash, you guys should get the food. Preferably pizza and sweets. Oh, and make sure to get those little mini ice-cream cones. Thalia loves those. Miss Jenn can you get the cake?"

"Sure, where from?" She asks.

"There's this little bakery about an hour away. They'll have a cooler for the cake and it's already paid for. I just need you to pick it up. I'll send you the address," I reply.

"You got it," She nods.

"Okay, what team?" Ricky asks.

"Wildcats!" Everyone exclaims.

"Operation: Surprise Thalia For Her Birthday is in action!" Big Red smirks.