𝟷.𝟿

𝐃𝐮𝐤𝐞

I walk into the bomb shelter with Alaina talking about the crazy math class we just had. I'm not gonna go into detail, but all I have to say is "awkward."

"Okay, everyone! Settle down!" Miss Jenn exclaims as we all sit in a chair to start rehearsals. "We have got a two-hour window before the storm is expected to hit, and I intend to use every minute of it." Wait... where's EJ?

I lean over to Alaina and whisper, "Hey, Laina, wasn't EJ like right behind us?"

"Um, yeah. Where'd he go?" She questions and furrows her eyebrows.

I then lean over to Ashlynn, surely she has to know where he is. I whisper. "Hey, do you know where EJ is?"

"Um, no. I thought he was with you..." She trails.

"Oh," I nod.

"Big, splashy group numbers always succeed at the Menkie Awards!" Miss Jenn continues, not realizing the conversation that just went on. "So we need to workshop a punchy, breathtaking number that will put us in the number one spot!"

"As our head choreographer," Carlos begins. I look over at Gina and see she is livid. "I am so happy to announce that today we will, at last, begin rehearsing one of the most showstopping, iconic, and bar-raising numbers of the entire show!"

"Be Our Guest," Gina jumps in. "Yeah, it's Be Our Guest, guys." Carlos then glares are her. "What?" She asks.

"Before we begin, I'm going to tell you a little story about hospitality!" Miss Jenn announces. "Once, when I was a little girl, my mom and I heard a clatter come from the kitchen. We thought it was a burglar. So my mom ran over, hog-tied 5)3 man, and promptly called the police." Ashlynn gasps. "As we waited for the cops to come, I watched my mother place a bowl of iced tea next to his face. 'Because,' she said, 'until the police come and get him, he's still our guest.'"

"So... did he, like, get arrested or.." Kourtney trails.

"No. Turns out, it wasn't a burglar at all, just a repairman who entered the wrong unit," Miss Jenn explains. "But the point remains the same. Just like our intruder. We need to make Belle and our entire audience feel welcome. And with that, Carlos and Gina, take it away!"

Ashlynn starts clapping.

"Thank you, Miss Jenn, that wasn't terrifying at all," Gina sighs the last part. Ricky chuckles at Gina's comment. "Okay, so. My vision to make this dance really soar is to stage... wait for it, a Cancan-style dance that features a feather-dusting spectacle." She pulls out two feather dusters. "I don't know, it'll probably go a little something like..." She then proceeds to do a little dance of kicks. It looks really cool.

"Absolutely!" Ashlynn exclaims.

"Yes, Gina!" Kourtney exclaims.

"Interesting," Carlos nods with an evident fake smile on his face. "I had a different path that's a little more elevated and less basic." He then turns to us. "Think. A noir-inspired performance that Lumiere guides our audience through the entire time."

"M'kay. But I actually spent a month in France once, so I kinda know this dance inside out," Gina challenges.

I throw my hand over my mouth.

"And I choreographed all three of my sister's quinceañera dances, despite not getting one for myself," Carlos mentions. "So I think I know how to twirl with a salad fork, okay?"

"Okay! You know what?" Miss Jenn jumps in before Carlos and Gina can rip each other apart. "Let's stick a pin in Be Our Guest and brush up on Something There!" I look around and see EJ still not here. "EJ and Thalia, to the front of the room, please. Wait, where's EJ?"

"That's what I've been wondering!" I exclaim. "Can I go look for him?"

"Ok, yes, please do," She nods.

I sigh and get up, going to the door. That's when I see Nini.

"Oh, my god!" I exclaim and pull her into a tight hug.

"Nini!" Everyone shouts.

"I... needed... one more... group... hug!" She lets out from my tight squeezing.

"Looks like Thalia already got a head start," Seb chuckles.

Everyone comes up and joins the hug.

"Ok, I've gotta go find EJ," I sigh, pushing out of the group of theater kids.

I run down the hall, past all of the other kids staying behind for their respective clubs. I look through the whole school, and as I'm about to give up, I find him sitting by a locker.

"EJ!" I exclaim and then hug him. "Where have you been? I was worried. Why didn't you come to rehearsal?"

"I didn't get into Duke.." He mutters.

"What?" I ask pulling away from the hug, looking into his eyes.

"Yeah," He nods and then looks down at the floor.

"I-It's okay, EJ. Maybe Duke just wasn't meant to be," I suggest placing my hand on his face.

"That's the thing, Thalia. My grandparents met at Duke. My parents met at grad school there. My family is a Duke family. I thought it was, like, a lock," He sighs holding my hand on his face as I run my thumb along his cheekbone. "What am I gonna tell my dad?"

"Your dad should be proud of you no matter what school you go to," I reply. "I mean surely you got accepted to other schools. And y'know, you're awesome EJ. Any college would be lucky to have you."

"Thalia, I only got into one state school. I mean, yes, I'm grateful, but Duke..." He trails.

"I'm really sorry, EJ," I sigh.

"It's not your fault. I honestly should've just come to you. You always help me," He chuckles lightly.

"Hey, maybe tonight, after rehearsals, you can come over and we can watch some movies," I suggest while playing with the ends of his jacket. "Y'know, take your mind off of... that."

"Thalia, that's sounds awesome. I really need that," He smiles.

"Okay, well you take all the time you need. I'm gonna head back to rehearsal, join us when you're ready," I smile at him. I then go up and kiss his cheek. I turn around and head to the bomb shelter.

~
🎥

"What is she doing to me?" He sighs and looks in the direction that she left. He holds his cheek with his hand, a huge smile on his face.

~