𝟷.𝟽

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐖𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐳

"Hey, are you excited for your first rehearsal as Belle?" Alaina grins and bumps my shoulder.

"Yeah, I am," I grin widely.

"And EJ is your beast," She adds with a little sing song tone. "You totally like him!"

"What?" I ask and look at her with wide eyes.

"You like EJ. Don't worry I'm not mad or anything," She chuckles.

"I don't like EJ," I assure her.

"Whatever you say, Lia," She chuckles as we continue walking to the bomb shelter. "By the way, Sarah is throwing a Valentine's day party at her house. I was thinking you, me, EJ, and Kaden could go. I already asked Kaden and he's down."

"Oh, yeah! That sounds like fun. I'm totally down," I nod with a huge grin. "Also... you and Kaden?"

"We just started texting a bit. It's nothing serious," Alaina states with a small smile creeping up on her face.

"Ugh! You guys would be so cute together!" I shout and jump on her back.

We get to the bomb shelter and see EJ in all black.

"Hey, EJ, you okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's just like, this is my first Valentine's day without a girlfriend," He replies shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Are you-" I'm cut off by Carlos walking in.

"Okay, people!" He exclaims. "The title song of Beauty and the Beast is the centerpiece of our show. Written at the height of Ashman and Menken's powers and it's their most romantic ballad since Suddenly, Seymour. As a reminder, Belle," He gestures to me. "Is finally falling for the beast." He gestures at EJ. "And it's not just because of Stockholm Syndrome, y'all. Love is love."

"EJ and Thalia, it's time to review the waltz!" Gina smiles. "Let's take it way under tempo."

EJ and I walk up as Seb starts playing the song slowly. I take his hands in mine. I get on my tip toes and we waltz around. It was pretty easy because I already knew how to waltz.

"Tale.. as.. old.. as.. time.." Kourtney sings slowly.

I look deep into EJ's blue eyes and he smiles at me.

"Barely even friends-"

"Kourtney, honey, I know we aren't up to show tempo, but sing out, and make sure to really look at Belle and the Beast during the song!" Miss Jenn states. "Remember, what Mrs.Potts is observing is a miracle! Belle is the most beautiful girl in the land, and the Beast is, I'm sorry, EJ, beastly." I look down at the floor. My chest starts to tighten. "Maybe close your eyes and imagine the full scene in makeup and wardrobe." She turns to me and EJ. "Ok, ready?"

"Um- Miss Jenn, do you mind if I take a quick five?" I ask.

"Everything okay, honey?" Miss Jenn asks worriedly.

"Mhm," I nod.

EJ comes over to me and places his hands on my cheeks. "Lia... you okay?"

I smile and nod. I place my hand don his wrists and take them off my face.

I grab my water bottle and go to the bathroom. I take a deep breath. I turn on the cold water and get some on my hands. I splash it up on my face.

"Ugh," I groan and run my fingers through my hair. "What's wrong with me?" I look up at myself in the mirror. I pull my hair out of my face and all I can see is every little flaw. Every blackhead, every pimple, and all the unevenness. And then I hear voices speaking to me. But it's my own voice. Over and over again, in my head.

Why's my nose so big?

What is going on with my shoulders?

My arms are huge.

My thighs are huge.

Don't even get me started on everything else.

It wasn't long after that and now my face was covered with tears. I quickly started to wipe them away and tried my best to make it look like I wasn't crying. Once it's sufficient enough, I head back to the bomb shelter. Once I'm there I see everyone filing out.

"Thalia!" I hear behind me.

I turn around and see Alaina.

"Hey, Laina," I smile.

"Wanna go to your house and get ready for the party? I asked EJ and he is coming. He said he'd pick us up from your place at like 9," Alaina suggest.

"Oh, yeah- um. I'm gonna go to the gym for a bit and then like go home take a shower but just like come to mine at 7," I smile softly with a nod.

"The gym? Since when do you go to the gym?" She asks.

"Um, I started going last week. Y'know, just trying to get in shape. I realized it was bad when like I got winded walking up the stairs," I joke around.

"Okay, I'll see you at 7," She nods.

"See you at 7!" I exclaim.

We then walk down separate ends of the hallway.