Chapter 54: A Safe Place

I kept my knees together pushing against his, so they wouldn't break apart and make me entirely vulnerable. I pushed against his knees and tried maneuvering one of my legs in front of him. I got both of my feet to press against his stomach and I pushed him off of me. His hands let go of my wrists and he fell off the couch. I stood up and looked around for the key. I didn't really wanna check if Quinn had the key or not, because I knew he would grab me again.

' Where is it!? '

I lifted the pillows on the couches up, but there was nothing and I didn't see any key anywhere until I looked at the fireplace. On top of the mantel above the fireplace, I could see something sitting on the piece of the fireplace. I tried running towards it but my ankles were grabbed and I went to the floor. I used my arms to shield my face from hitting the floor and I looked back to see Quinn climbing my body. I kicked at him again and he went to the side. I stood up and ran to the mantel. The key that was on the top was small, but I had to hope it was the right one.

" My star! Get back here! "

" No, you bastard! "

I ran to the door and put the key inside of the keyhole. I twisted the key around until I heard a click. I turned the handle and threw the door open. I ran out of the library and from the floor as a whole. I didn't know where to go, and I didn't want to be around anyone. So, I ran to a random room in the castle and stayed there. The room had no lights on but the sun shone through the window providing light. I pushed my back against the door and slid down to the floor. I reached my hand up to lock the door, and then I hugged my legs to my chest.

' I hate this. I don't want to be here I want to be free. How the hell did it even come to this? I was just serving him breakfast until he killed his father. '

You just sat in that room not knowing what to do. You knew you had two options to leave on the wedding day, but now you couldn't wait. You wanted out of the palace immediately, but waiting was your best option. A knock on the door made you jump, but you didn't unlock the door.

" My lady? I saw you run in here. Are you alright? "

" I'm fine. . .please go. "

" If you'll let me in, I need to talk to you, if you'll let me. "

You didn't want to open the door for the maid. You didn't know if Quinn was making her talk or if she was sent by Quinn. But with nothing else left you reached up and unlocked the door, scooting away from it. The maid entered the room and you observed her. She had short blonde hair and blue eyes. Her skin was pale and her eyes showed concern when they looked at you. She wore the mandatory maid outfit, and she sat down in front of you.

" My lady, I do not wish to harm you and I was not sent by his majesty. "

" How do I know you're telling the truth? "

" Well. . .I guess you don't. You'll just have to trust me. "

" You wanted to discuss something? "

" Yes, the other maids and I don't like your situation. If you remember most of us worked with you and you helped us a lot. When we couldn't do our tasks you stepped up and did them. So, seeing you in such distress is leaving a sour taste in our mouths. We want to help you. "

" How? "

" Well, we know about the letters that you received. Some of us have loved ones who are working in the rebellion and some are still in contact with Queen Elina. So, we all know about them. "

" And? " You asked with an irritated tone.

" W-We know we can't help you escape but we can provide you with somewhere to hide until the day of the wedding. "

" What? Where? "

" As you know there are many rooms in this castle, but outside, behind the castle, there's a little white building where the old gardener used to live in before the old king executed him. No one has lived in there for a while. All of the maids got together and fixed it up if you would like to go there. No one really goes to the house and there's only one key. I have it with me if you wish to go now. "

" What about Quinn? "

" We can tell him that you believe it is best that the future bride and groom don't need to see each other until the day of the wedding. It's traditional in your family and that is why you've been avoiding him. We won't mention where you actually are. "

" What's your name? "

" Sarah. Sarah Flemming. "

" Thank you Sarah, and I'm sorry I sound irritated. I just don't like this marriage. "

" I know you don't. If you wish we can head there right now and you can get settled. We'll bring you some clothes while Quinn is busy. "

" Okay. "

You stood from the floor and Sarah joined you. Sarah checked to see if the king was in the hall before grabbing your hand and running out of the room and going to the ground floor. No one acknowledged you, and that's when you figured that all of the workers knew what was going on.

' Their scared to stand up to him. He has the power. '

Sarah ran through the front gates of the castle and then started running around the outside of it. You both ran to the back of the castle where you saw a white marble home that had only one window in it and it was a big window on the side. Sarah grabbed the key from her skirt pocket and unlocked the door. She let you go in first and look around the home. There were two floors in the small house. The first floor had a bed, desk, and a small kitchen, and beside the desk was a ladder stuck to the wall. Above you there was a small walkway around the home. IN the walls of the second floor there were books along the three walls, then there was the ceiling above them that connected in a triangle fashion.

" This is the best we could do. We tried cleaning everything but there was a lot of books, so some of them are still dusty. "

" This is perfect, thank you. "

" Please do not mention it. All of us workers know how kind you are. Especially the maids, we know how hard you worked so you could travel and we don't like the thought of you being forced into an unhappy marriage. Here is the key. Remember it is the only one to this door and it can be locked or unlocked on both sides."

" Thank you Sarah. Please thank everyone else for me. "

" I-I will try. Please get some rest so you can get all of the negative things out of your mind. "

Sarah smiled at you once more before shutting the door behind her. You locked the door immediately and looked out of the big window to see her running back around the walls of the castle.