Chapter 36: The Art of Obsession

The sun had risen on another day of your imprisonment. The cell door was still locked, and there was no sign that it would move anytime soon. The walls inside the cell were suffocating, and they felt like they were closing in to choke you. You felt stuck in a hard place, without being able to escape.

   " This is bad, how am I going to get out of here? "

   ' Jin and Aileen said they would take care of getting the key, but it's around Quinn's neck every day. He wears it and hides the key underneath his clothes. I wonder how I'm going to get out of here and how everything is going outside these walls. '

You stood up from the floor and walked to the desk that was in the room. There was a feather quill and some ink on the side with paper sitting in the middle of the desk. You took up the quill and dipped it in the black ink. You tapped the side of the ink bottle to allow some of the black darkness to drip off of the feather. You touched the paper and started drawing. 

You didn't know what you were drawing, you were just letting your hand weave around the paper. The different lines and shapes were perfect with only a few mistakes in the ink. When you lifted the feather quill off the paper you stared at the picture that you drew. The picture on the old yellowish paper was a bird. It was a crow with its wings outspread like it was flying. Behind it was different constellations and the crescent moon. In the bird's claws was a flower. 

The flower was a lotus flower and the petals were drawn with a delicate, yet firm hand since the petals in the picture looked to be pushing against the wind the bird was flying against in the picture. You set the feather quill down and held the paper between your hands. You were glad that the ink dried quickly because the ink would have run down the paper as you held it. 

   ' When did I learn to draw? I guess when you're bored you just pick up somethings, maybe. I don't know. '

You set the page down and grabbed another piece of paper. You picked the quill back up and continued to draw. It's all you could do, and with your mind being clouded by boredness you continued to draw for hours. You drew many things, and they all represented one thing; freedom. The freedom you wished to have and that you once had was described on the pages of paper. 

Through birds flying through the stars, to a picture of a girl in chains underneath the stars. There was a lot of paper that they provided you with, and you planned to draw until you run out. You were engrossed with your drawings that you stayed at that desk most of the day. You sat there instead of on the floor. The chair wasn't comfortable but at least you weren't on the floor. 

You finished your seventh drawing when you heard a key moving into the lock of your cell door. You didn't move from your chair, and you didn't set your quill down either. You continued to draw until the door opened. Only then did you set the feather quill down. The door shut and you could feel the king's presence behind you. 

He placed his hands on your shoulders and leaned over you to look at what you were drawing. The drawing in front of you was half-finished. This drawing was a rose with chains circling it with a lock hanging from the chain. 

   " When did you learn to draw my star? "

You didn't say anything and just shrugged your shoulders. You faced your half-finished drawing instead of turning and looking at Quinn. Your head was looking down at it and you didn't plan on looking up. Quinn wrapped his arms further around your shoulders and leaned his chin on your head. You didn't move at all or show him any sign of caring. 

Quinn picked up the half drawing and set it back down on the desk. He looked around the floor to see the other drawings that you set aside. He left your back and leaned down to pick one of them up. The one he picked up was a drawing of a heart, wrapped in vines with thorns, and a crown was on top of the heart. He stood up with the drawing and set it on the desk in front of you. 

   " What does this represent? "

   " I don't know. "

   " You don't know? If you don't know then why did you draw it? "

   " I just started drawing. I didn't have anything specific I wanted to draw. I just drew. "

   " I see. You are very good. There's a lot of detail in these drawings. "

   " Thanks. "

   " My star, why don't you turn and look at me? Don't you know it's rude to not look at someone when they're talking to you? "

   " I know. "

   " So, you plan to be rude to me? "

   " I think I have the right, don't you? I am trapped in this cell against my will. "

   " That's not good my star. Maybe if you were kind to me I might give you a reward, or a prize. "

   " Love is not about punishment and reward. Love is something different than that, and it is something different than keeping your loved one locked up in a room. Love is much better and warmer than that. "

   " My star, it is love that keeps you here. I love you with my whole soul. And in order to protect you, I've kept you here. The outside world can be so cruel and heartless, that I don't want it to taint you. I don't want a hair on your head to be harmed, and because I am now the king I cannot give you all my time, sadly. So, to keep you safe, I've kept you here. That is my love for you. "

   " Your love is not love, but obsession. "

Quinn leaned down and kissed the top of your head. 

   " I can live with that, as long as I have you all to myself. "