Chapter 14: The Unknown

You now sat in the garden looking at the sky. The snow was gently falling on the ground and you smiled at how beautiful it was. You thought you would be out here throwing snowballs at your friends but you were wrong. You only looked at the sky wishing that the stars would shine down on you, but the clouds were covering the snow-filled sky. It was night and you wanted to get out of your room.

Genevive's coughing fits spiraled into something fierce and it kept you awake all night. You stood up from the snowy ground and walked back into the palace.

   " I guess a walk around the palace halls wouldn't be too bad. It's warm at least. " 

You made your way to the kitchen and grabbed a bread roll and started walking down the halls of the palace. They were extravagant and you could see how hard the maids and butlers worked to keep the place as clean and glamourous as it was. You found a candle on your way and lit the candle with a match. The maids were asked to carry a box of matches in case one of the royals needed something to be lit you would have them. So, what's one match for a candle? 

   ' This place is kind of creepy at night. '

You wandered the halls in search of anything. The paintings on the walls were old and on the left side of the old hall, you could see the family portraits. They were always hand-painted by one person and each generation of royals looked better than the last. You looked at all of the old generations until you came to the current generation. In the painting were the queen and king, with a baby princess in their arms and a little boy standing by his father. 

The king and queen held small smiles and you could see that behind their eyes there was a different feeling than love. Their smiles seemed forced. When you looked at young prince Quinn his face was like that of a statue. He was still and his eyes held no mention at all. It made you shiver, and so you continued walking, and beside their portrait was an empty spot on the wall.

   " That's for Quinn and his family. When he becomes king and has a family. "

You looked at the spot once more and continued walking. You didn't recognize the halls you were in now. This was the part of the castle the maids only clean for balls. It wasn't necessary but the queen had instructed to never clean this hallway unless it was for parties, because no one ever came this far into the palace. The ball not too long ago allowed this hall to be clean, but there were new cobwebs that started to form.

There were a lot and you just kept walking through the halls not caring if a spider were to bite you. You just wanted peace and quiet to yourself without having to work. You rolled your sleeves up feeling your body get warmer from the candle. As you walked you glanced behind you once in a while to make sure you were not being followed. It was creepy to walk through that area at night, but you kept going. 

It got darker as you walked and the stars were not shining through the window with the moon because of the clouds blocking them. For a month you weren't able to look at the stars because of those clouds. You resented them a little but dismissed it because it was nature. When you walked by a door you could only glance at its old look. It was made of iron and it seemed heavy. 

There was rust on the edges and around the handle, and that only intrigues you to open it. Your hand found the handle and you slowly twisted it. It made a small squeak and you entered the room with your candle, forgetting to shut the door behind you. The floor was made of cobblestone and so were the walls. The interior was cold and unwelcoming. 

You walked further into the room and saw bars lining half of the room. You saw candle holders on the side of the walls and you lit one of them with your candle, bringing more light into the room. You lit all of the candles on your side of the cell and peered through the bars. You could see chains connected to the walls and that they were tightly holding something in the air. Your eyes traveled down the left chain and saw a hand. 

You wanted to gasp but you kept your breath sucked into your cheeks.

   ' Who would be down this far? And chained up? '

You brought your candle closer to the cell bars and saw the back of someone. It was toned but the flesh was raw. He was only wearing pants, and he had whip marks on his back. There looked to be dozens of whip marks, each looking more horrified than the last. The only feature you could see was their hair and you saw it was midnight black, and if they pulled their head up it would reach their shoulders.

You slowly made it to the door and opened it seeing it unlocked. You walked into the cell and lit all of the candles and then set yours down. The floor was stained with dried blood and you saw the whip in the corner on a wooden stool. You walked up to the person and saw that their eyes were closed but you remembered their face. Their face was pale and thin, but you still could recognize their facial structure, even after a month.

   " Jin? "