⫷ 29 • Embracing The Precious Ones ⫸

Jane's POV

*In the carriage*

At the dining room, he almost acted like his usual self but he still ignored me afterward. If I tried to ask anything about what the Moriarty brothers said to him, he would just look out of the window as if I'm just thin air.

"Would you stop glaring at me?" Steve requested with an annoyed expression.

"Even though you were looking away you managed to notice my glare, huh?" I commented. I noticed his cheeks were still swollen from my punch last night.

"Do whatever you want." He sighed. "We have to annul our engagement. I’m sure you probably don't want to see my face after we return home." He proceeded.

Of course! I want that. But I still haven't forgiven him for abandoning me like that.

"I couldn't be happier to not see your unsightly face.” I crossed my arms while looking out of the window. I didn’t even try to hide my bitterness. “One more thing….” I turned to him.

Now what?

I nearly wanted to give another punch to make his swollen face more swollen.

I’m letting you know beforehand so you won’t be a hindrance later. I’ve planned something with William to deal with that psycho. You better not ruin it or else I’ll murder you with my own hands.” I gave an ominous look which made him gulp.

Alright. I won’t do anything. Remember that this is our last conversation.” He replied.

Yes, we are going to end our 13 years of friendship right when we return home. Maybe, it is for the better.

I know…” I responded as I turned away from him.

Soon, I reached home and Steve proceeded to return to his home. As I entered my house, I saw my parents standing in front of me with their welcoming smiles. I almost teared up as I saw their faces. Just yesterday, I almost lost them but thanks to William they are safe and sound standing right in front of me. I don’t know how my life would have been if they weren’t here.

I...I missed both of you so much!” I rushed to them and hugged both at once. They hugged me back. I wanted this moment to last longer.

We missed you too, dear” my mother confessed.

We pulled back and once again smiled at each other. My brother, Ethan as well, came to welcome me. All four of us talked for a while. I had to make up some stories about my trip to make them believe that I actually went for a trip.

After a hearty family time, my mother asked me to take some rest. Hence, the rest of the day went as usual, my father and brother had to attend a crucial meeting. So, most of my time was spent with my mother, she talked a lot about the party she attended with father. I was in my parent’s room having tea with my mother. But, unexpectedly, she said something that caught me off guard.

Jane” she caressed my head. “How did you get injured?” She looked at me with concerned eyes as she touched my left arm.

I can’t believe she found out! Even though I tried my best to hide them by wearing a full-sleeved dress and whatnot!

How did you…” I stuttered.

Do you really think you can hide such things from me? My child, I’m your mother!” She boldly said. “Even when you were a child, you always hid from being injured after training but I always knew.” her expression got teary.