67. Unsigned Papers

Start from the beginning

"Have you gone mad? What are you saying? She is my wife," Shivaay almost yelled. Immature words sounded good from Rudra. Even Rudra won't have said so in place of Omkara. He couldn't believe this was the most mature Oberoi brother he was speaking to.

"So? Just let her be. Why can't you?" Omkara questioned.

"If I knew it—"

"You are in love," Omkara interrupted Shivaay.

Shivaay lost his voice for a moment. His brother's words were hard to digest. He never questioned himself if he was in love. And now suddenly someone tells him that he is. The poetic world Omkara lived in was certainly a doom for Shivaay.

"Poetic words suit you, not me," Shivaay replied, "You know that I don't—"

"Believe in love," Omkara completed Shivaay's words, "Then what is it that you feel for us? Why is it that you care for Dadi even when she is unreasonable at times? Why is it that you care about fulfilling Dad's dream project? Why is it that you were so worried when Prinku tried to suicide? Why is it that you don't mind Rudra's immature jokes when stupidity gets into your nerves? And why is it that you followed Bhabhi to her home without heeding to your elephant-sized ego?"

Omkara knew his questions made Shivaay question himself. It was good for Shivaay. He disconnected the call and let his brother answer those complicated questions all by himself.

I am not talking about romantic love here. You love your parents, I am sure. You love Dadi, Rudra, Priyanka, Omkara, and others in your extended family back in Punjab. That emotion is also love.

Shivaay recalled Annika's words to him on the night of her birthday. Omkara was saying the same. That's how the rest of the world viewed love. Love was family. And friends. Annika was both his family and friend for life.

"No," he failed to agree that he was in love with her. His feelings for Annika were way different than his feelings for the rest of his family. Then how could both be love? It couldn't be. She was family, yes. A part of the family he wanted to always be with him.

***

As Shivaay reached for his car in the office parking lot, he recognized Annika standing beside her car from afar. A few steps in her direction and he saw a few mechanics checking her vehicle. She had her arms crossed across her chest and looked worried.

"Hi. Can I help?" he asked knowing her answer was most likely a no.

"No," and he was right. He sighed.

"Did your car break down?" he asked.

"As you can see," her voice trailed.

He grabbed her hand saying, "Come with me. We will get your car fixed later."

She quickly freed her hand from his hold. She didn't want to shout and grab the attention of others in the parking lot. She whispered, "Leave. I will come when my car is ready."

"I can't leave you here. It's almost eight. We have worked too much for the day. I am sure you are tired too. Get inside," he pointed to his car.

"You may go. I am waiting for my car to get repaired," Annika replied.

"I am not asking you to marry me again. I am asking you to get in my car so I can get you to the home we both live in," Shivaay said quietly.

"My answer to both is a no," she remained adamant.

"Annika, it's too late. It's not safe," Shivaay tried to make her understand.

"I have been alone before too. I spent four years studying in a different city," she argued.