Autumn Raindrops

Finished - October 7, 2021

Word Count - 923

Music - Relaxing Rain Sleep Music

Summary:
Listen to the relaxing sounds of the rain and snuggle up for some wholesome content. Natsu and Lucy travel home from a mission through a forest and have to stop for the night, thankfully, Lucy has a tent.

**********************************

Mid November was the perfect time of year for color. Lush hues of orange, yellow and red bloomed from ever tree. As far as Lucy could see, the forest was a kaleidoscope of beauty. Autumn was her favorite season! She loved to watch all the tree's change color, she loved to wear cozy clothes. However, she wished the season lasted longer, because she always dreaded winter. As much as she liked wearing layers in the fall; she hated being cold.

Lucy readjusted her bag over her shoulder, making sure it wouldn't fall. She and Natsu had just finished a job in a near by town, it was a short journey, so Lucy had agreed to walk. Natsu hardly ever got his way, therefore she granted his wish of avoiding the train.

From the corner of her eye Lucy saw Natsu hold out his hand to the sky and look up. She also stopped in her tracks and looked to the skyline. Above them, darkening clouds grumbled and a few small droplets fell onto their heads.

"I guess thats our cue to stop for the night." Natsu chuckled and set down is pack.

"Can you start the fire?" Lucy asked politely, letting her large bag flop to the ground.

"Yeah, we'll need a big one. It's going to be a rough night if it's going to rain." Natsu rubbed his hands together.

"Unless someone happened to bring a tent." Lucy smirked.

Natsu haulted his collecting of sticks and focused his attention back to Lucy. "You didn't..."

Lucy looked to the side and leaned on her tippy toes with sass. "I may have brought a tent."

"I love you!" Natsu dropped all this fire wood and ran to hug her firmly.

"I know." Lucy chuckled smugly. "But don't let our firewood get all wet!"

"Whoops!" He ran back to the dampening sticks and picked them up before they could get too wet.

They each separated to complete their tasks in setting up their little camp. Lucy pitched the tent, Natsu made the fire and together they cooked the food they had brought over the flames. After they had eaten their full, the rain had finished its light drizzle and started to pour. Putting out Natsu's lovely fire.

They both retreated into the tent to keep dry. However, Lucy sat in the opening of the tent, where the shoes would stay dry, but still outside of the tent itself. She sat there, listening...

Just taking a moment to listen to the light tapping of the rain upon the canvas tent, the droplets upon the leaves. The soft noises of the forest quieted down during the shower. She rubbed her arms as the cold seeped into her bones, without the fire, she was much colder. She let out a heavy breath to see a cloud escape her lips, seeing her own breath in the crisp air. Tapping her brown boots together, she continued to sit there, enjoying the peace.

Inside the tent, Natsu set up their bed, making sure it would be warm enough for them. He knew Lucy was a very cold sleeper and since they were sleeping outside, in November; they would need to keep each other warm.

Once the setting was ready, he unzipped the tent to see Lucy sitting in the doorway by his shoes, just starring out at the view. He noticed she was shivering, but didn't look uncomfortable.

"Hey Luce." Replaced a hand on her shoulder gently. "Come on in."

She seemed to be shaken out of a trance and turned to him. Humming in response, she slipped off her boots and followed him into the tent.

Once inside, she immediately she wrapped herself into a blanket. This made Natsu laugh.

"You cold?" He asked.

Lucy shrugged her shoulders - this was not an answer. A new habit Lucy acquired once she and Natsu started dating, she would never admit feeling cold. As if her human sensitivity to the cold was a weakness. Natsu was not effected by the weather, unlike any other human on the planet. (Save for Grey)

"Come here." He held his arms open and Lucy snugged into him happily. He tucked her into his embrace and wrapped them up in his large sleeping bag. Making sure they were covered in plenty of blankets, he gave her a gentle kiss upon her forehead.

"Thank you, Natsu." Lucy sighed happily.

He could feel her breath against his neck, giving him the best kind of chills. However, nothing compared to the feeling when she pressed her lips against his collar bone.

"God. Lucy you can't just do that to me." His head involentarily tilted down next to her ear. "You'll give me a heart attack."

"It's nice to know I can affect you that way." Lucy smiled and leaned her head up to meet his, giving him another kiss on the cheek.

"I love you." He repeated, this time with sincerity.

"I love you too." Lucy hummed. "Now go to sleep."

The white noise of rain pattered against their tent, a comfortable silence drifted into a warm slumber. Even the cold could not ever their cozy nest. The surrounding autumn forest kept them safe until morning.