10. You

Christian's chest tightened as his convertible stopped in front of the mansion's gate, a bit of uncharacteristic apprehension lodged inside of him that needed to be set free.

He didn't know what he would do when he saw her again. But he knew that they had unfinished business.

The sun set in a brilliant orange and painted the sky late afternoon pink. It warmed Christian's neck as he sat in his convertible and stared at the horizon, a still serene breeze blowing through his blonde hair.

Familiar guards buzzed him into the gates, allowing Christian to make his way along the circular driveway buzzing with confidence.

When he got out of his car, he could see Estella's shades open on the top floor letting afternoon light in.

He sighed, contentment returning. As he stepped out of the car, he took in the manicured hedges, flower gardens, statues, and fountains framing the entrance to the mansion's grounds with a new appreciation for them--"I love this place."

He rang the doorbell to the west wing, cleared his throat, and denied the fact that his heart raced wondering what she'd say when she saw him.

Their attempts to get along at work hadn't sufficed for actual conversation

Their attempts to get along at work hadn't sufficed for actual conversation. Maybe she would be okay seeing him... as friends.

The spark when they met from the moment he first looked into her eyes... faded, the moment their careers became more important than anything else.

Growing apart, between his days working nonstop and her hours without any breaks, so focused on themselves that they forgot about each other. Soon, there wasn't much left between them anymore.

What changed now?

Needless to say Eleanor was quite shocked to see Christian when she swung open the front doors, blinking rapidly as she cleared her throat and called Estella downstairs.

Christian's eyes met Estella's as she came down the stairs in a black dress that hugged every curve of her body that she'd taken beautiful care of since he'd been away. He tilted his head to her and smiled.

She didn't exactly look happy to see him when she spoke first. "What are you doing here?"

The sound of her voice... so familiar, yet not quite right after all this time without hearing it.

He looked back up at her and shrugged before laughing, his eyes crinkling, his charming smile creasing, and replied with three words: "To see you."

Estella looked like she wanted to say something, but didn't reach for it.

Christian watched closely as Estella's eyes avoided him and followed the ivy plants trailing up along the mansion's white brick walls. Strands of her long dark hair blew across the frame of her face in the afternoon wind, warm glimmers of sunlight reflected in her brown eyes.