13. New Direction

I pitched in with seven others to help Kevin rearrange the tables and chairs into a much larger hollow square, and in the process, I realised that culinary's the biggest group. Management would be the smallest. But as exec chef, I'm also part of the management. Aha! They'll be spread among the groups – teams, as Duncan called them. That's why only three tables this time.

When the forty-eight chairs were in place, Kevin said, "We're from six branches, and we have many new people, so to make it easier for everyone to identify our roles, we'll sit according to our positions." He stepped forward and stood behind a chair in the centre of one side of the table. "Clockwise from here, branch managers, exec chefs, sous chefs, line cooks, prep cooks and dishwashers in that order."

As we shuffled into position, I was puzzled when I saw Duncan take the chair to Kevin's right. Makes sense, though. Not only the biggest team but also the one most directly involved in turning this thing around.

Once everyone had found a seat, Duncan stood and said, "I heard some grumbling." He chuckled. "And not just about playing bleeping musical chairs."

Quiet words rippled around the table, but they ceased when he said, "Let me set something straight before we begin. Yes, the grumblers are correct; Kevin had been a line cook here. Then, with the crisis and many leaving, he took over the kitchen and then the branch management."

While I absorbed this, I watched a variety of nods and surprised expressions around the table.

Duncan continued, "He set up an ordering system for the chain – bulk orders to cut down on food cost. Delivered and stored here and distributed by requisition to the other five locations. Effectively, he had become the chain's executive chef as well as its manager. Had he not taken over Arnie and Freddy's duties, the chain would have collapsed weeks ago."

"But the menu went from wonderfully creative to disgusting," a man two seats along from me said.

Kevin nodded. "Not disgusting, just a different market. But it's what I understand. Deep-fryer and microwave-ready or unpack and serve. I spent twenty years in a pub, the last eight as the manager."

"Manager? Then, why did you take a line cook position?" the same person asked, this time with an even harsher tone.

"My uncle sold the pub, and the new owner took over running it. When Plimpton's posted jobs for here, I applied for them all. But with the rush, all that was left for me was line cook." He shrugged. "It was a job, and with six kids, I needed the pay."

Duncan broke the silence that followed, "Leadership. Initiative. Taking the bull by the horns, so to speak. When there is no team structure, such action is necessary." He laid a hand on Kevin's shoulder. "I've confirmed him as the manager of this branch, and a better one would be difficult to find."

Several people stood and applauded, one tipping his chair to the floor in his rush. I stood and joined the clapping as it spread.

"Great! That's the spirit we need," Duncan said. "Now, let's get this company turned around." He referred to notes on his clipboard. "Within three weeks of the accident, all the executive chefs had left. Sous chefs and a line chef stepped in to replace them, and one quit when the takeover was announced. We've just hired a new one for the Dunbar branch, and –"

"That's me," said the man to my left. "Seems I'm the only qualified executive chef here."

I winced. Arrogant but true. I've no experience in the position.

Duncan ignored the comment and continued, "And a new one here to replace Kevin. So, we've two qualified and four with a few weeks of on-the-job experience as execs."