𝗙𝗜𝗙𝗧𝗬 𝗢𝗡𝗘

Start from the beginning

The Titan seemed to appear out of nowhere, emerging from a colourful blur. At the sight of him, Eddy stilled, leaning further into Peter's side, flat against the rock and rubble. The gauntlet on his arm was huge, already studded with the glistening gems he sought.

"Oh yeah." At the sound of Dr Strange's voice, Thanos looked over, dark eyes finding him upon faded steps. "You're much more of a Thanos."

"I take it the Maw is dead." Thanos' voice was deep and commanding as he strolled over, proud and vain in his size. "This day extracts a heavy toll. Still, he accomplished his mission."

"You may regret that," Strange said. From where Eddy was ducked behind the debris, the red of the cuts on his face seemed more vibrant, the wizard more torn and battle-worn, despite this only being the beginning. The Titan seemed to see the same thing. "He brought you face to face with the Master of the Mystic Arts."

"And where do you think he brought me?"

"Let me guess? Your home?"

"It was. And it was beautiful."

The glow of crimson illuminated the already red surroundings- the reality stone. Eddy glued his eyes shut, feeling for the unwavering presence by his side. As they waited for the moment to hit, Peter held him tightly, firmly.

"Titan was like many planets. Too many mouths, not enough to go around. And when we faced extinction I offered a solution."

"Genocide."

"But random, dispassionate, fair to rich and poor alike," Thanos said. Eddy finally opened his eyes and leaned forward against the rubble, finding the hulking purple figure that took up the space around him easily. "They called me a madman. And what I predicted came to pass."

"Congratulations, you're a prophet."

"I'm a survivor."

To call himself a survivor was to insult the very word itself. Eddy was a survivor- living through the war, travelling to the future, and losing his sister.

"Who wants to murder trillions."

"With all six stones, I could simply snap my fingers and they would cease to exist. I call that mercy."

He would think himself a God, but what right did he have to choose to massacre trillions?

"And then what?"

"I'd finally rest... and watch the sun rise on a grateful universe," Thanos said, speaking as if he was the saviour, a divined being, blessed. "The hardest choices require the strongest will."

"I think you'll find our will equal to yours."

Orange patterns formed around the wizard's hands at his command. The swirling magic was enough of a sign for the Avengers to jump into action. For a moment, the fear engulfed Eddy whole, making him feel as if he was drowning, being pulled back into a pit of crippling anxiety. But then he saw Mr Stark, powering forward to bury the Titan with a great hulk of rock, he saw Peter, swinging forward to help, and he felt the invisible hand of his sister, of Steve, pushing him forward, whispering that he could do this.

"Piece of cake, Quill," Tony's voice was loud through the earpiece in his mask.

"Yeah, if your goal was to piss him off."

The Titan took hit after hit as if they were only minor inconveniences. The red of the reality stone buzzed around the golden gauntlet around his fist, the glow erupting into a mass of movement, which became discernable only at the last minute as a swirling flock of bird-like shapes flew forward, sweeping Mr Stark away with their wings.