𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗧𝗬 𝗧𝗛𝗥𝗘𝗘

☀︎︎

𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝑇𝐻𝐼𝑅𝑇𝑌 𝑇𝐻𝑅𝐸𝐸𝐶𝑜𝑚𝑚𝑜𝑛 𝐶𝑜𝑚𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑡

𝐶𝑜𝑚𝑚𝑜𝑛 𝐶𝑜𝑚𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑡

☀︎︎

Eddy emerged from the dark swirls into a familiar hallway, leaving Split and his suit behind, the last bits of material of it snaking down his arm and hiding back in the band around his wrist. Tony Stark's words still rang clear in his head. The disappointment burned deep somewhere in his body.

He found himself teleporting to the only place he could think of: the small apartment in Queens where he knew he would be welcomed. The door swung open, a surprised-looking May hanging on the chipped, white frame.

"Eddy, I wasn't expecting you," she said, though not unkindly. The bright smile on her face said he was welcome any time.

"Hey, May. Is Peter in?"

The smile dropped into a frown. "He isn't. I haven't seen him since this morning. I've been worried," she said. Then she glanced behind her shoulder and opened the door even wider until it rested against the wall. "Why don't you come in and wait, I have some leftover pancakes."

With a plate of pancakes in his hands, Eddy headed to wait in Peter's room.

The front door swung open and from the sound of the tired, heavy footsteps, Peter walked in. Aunt May let out a stifled groan of annoyance and hurried his way. Eddy moved to follow, standing in the doorway of Peter's bedroom, but when he heard the woman's broken voice, he stopped in place.

"I've been calling you all day. You didn't answer your phone. You can't do that," Aunt May said, her strong voice reaching through the hallway from the kitchen. "Then this ferry thing happens. I've called five police stations. Five. I called five of your friends. I called Ned's mother. Eddy is waiting in your room, for God's sake."

Peter let out an audible sigh. "I'm fine, Aunt May, I'm okay. Honestly, just relax, please. I'm fine."

Aunt May's shell of worry had dissolved into anger- one so hot that Eddy could feel it from the other end of the apartment.

"Cut the bullshit," she said. "I know you left detention. I know you left the hotel room in Washington. I know you sneak out of this house every night. That's not fine."

There came no answer from the boy.

"Peter, you have to tell me what's going on. Just lay it out."

"I lost the Stark internship."

Eddy let out a breath. Peter would be broken, he knew. He could almost imagine the look of anguish that would have painted his face. But some small part of himself - a part that Eddy hated to acknowledge- thought of himself. Had this been his fault? That self-absorbed part of him thought it was. If he and Spiderman had not scared stark into being so cautious, then Peter may have still had his internship.