𝗙𝗜𝗙𝗧𝗬 𝗢𝗡𝗘

CHAPTER FIFTY ONE
need a big, big god
☀︎︎

The planet Titan was a great, angry mass of red. A desolate place, that spanned far and wide, barren for as far as Eddy's human eye could see. The wreck of the crash littered the dusty surface, broken metal structures protruding from the ground like tilted skyscrapers.

They were arguing- Tony and Quill, the rest of the group piping up when provoked- but Eddy paid them no mind as he looked toward the horizon, across Thanos' homeworld. The very air was clogged with dust, suffocating and foreboding, striking the confidence from his body, leaving him struggling both physically and mentally to breathe. Tony had prepared them for space, suits and all, but the day they'd venture into the stars had never thought to be so soon. It was bizarre- the very thought of it, when he stopped and had a moment to think, brought fear to his figure, leaving him sharp and rigid.

Somewhere far out, back on his own planet, Steve would be looking up to the stars, to the sun, to the moon, deep in hiding, never knowing that Eddy stood upon one of those same celestial bodies that stared back. Wanda would be waiting for a call, a visit. But here he was, a newly appointed member of the Avengers, preparing to fight a Titan who was threatening to rid the world of its population, and Eddy was scared.

Peter found him as Tony continued to argue with Quill. His hand wrapped around his arm, the touch of his fingers gentle and instantly comforting. It was as if he knew how Eddy was feeling as if his spidey senses told him so.

"Are you alright?" Peter asked, moving until he was all Eddy could see.

"Can I admit something?"

Peter nodded, eyebrows furrowing but lips pulling into the softest of smiles. "Yeah, you can tell me anything."

"I'm scared," he breathed, eyes closing until he felt Peter's hands lift higher, gripping his upper arms.

"You're supposed to be the brave one of us two," he said, but the joke fell flat. Eddy's eyes opened to Peter's worried face, and he could tell he was scared too. "Look, this is a whole new type of fight that we're gearing up towards, and we're bound to be scared. But we're partners with or without the masks, right?" His hand moved down again until they were holding Eddy's. "And we'll fight this problem together just as we did the rest."

Eddy could only nod, feeling the heavy onset of emotions rip through his chest. He held on tightly to Peter's hands, even as they turned to the green glow of the wizard as the rest did. He wanted to tell him everything, before the battle began, in a sudden move of sentiment. He wanted to tell him that the future would not have been the same without him. That in a past life, Eddy's feelings for him might've been condemned, but in this one, it was all he could feel sometimes, so strongly and perfectly. He wanted to tell him everything about them that he thought. But he didn't.

"Hey, what was that?" Peter shouted, landing beside Tony the same moment Eddy did.

"I went forward in time to view alternate futures. To see all the outcomes of the coming conflict," the wizard explained, and Eddy didn't like the look that fell upon his face.

"How many did you see?" Tony asked, brows drawn tightly into a tense scowl.

"14,000,605."

"How many did we win?"

Strange's head rose, lips pulled tautly into a frown. "One."

*︎

The plan sat snugly at the back of Eddy's mind. Their chances seemed slim, and the knowledge of that seemed to consume him. One chance in 14,000,605. Once he might've thought it pointless to try, but he thought of all he'd come through, all the universe had to lose and concentrated on the space left in front of the wizard.