𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗬 𝗧𝗛𝗥𝗘𝗘

︎☀︎︎

𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝑇𝑊𝐸𝑁𝑇𝑌 𝑇𝐻𝑅𝐸𝐸𝐷𝑜𝑢𝑏𝑙𝑒 𝐿𝑖𝑓𝑒

𝐷𝑜𝑢𝑏𝑙𝑒 𝐿𝑖𝑓𝑒

☀︎︎

Eddy woke to the blaring noise that Tony Stark called music. The metallic sort of sound rung through the entirety of his side of the compound, loud enough that it was as if the speakers were hidden beneath his bed, causing vibrations to ripple the mattress until he pulled himself up.

At least Happy gets a lie-in, he thought begrudgingly. He didn't think of Vision or where he may have been that morning. He didn't even pause to think whether the synthetic man could sleep at all, as he usually would have.

Happy had stayed the night after Mr Stark's lecture on why he shouldn't have been out with Spider-Man. It was funny to think that anyone, let alone Happy of all people, could stop him from leaving. The only thing that kept him at the compound, was the knowledge that Tony was out there trying to solve his time travel/ teleportation mystery, and Steve and Wanda were currently on the run. There was also the lingering problem of Sharon Carter and the fact that no matter how many documents he crawled through, nothing seemed to acknowledge that his brother's death was in the war. He tried not to think about that though.

Perhaps he should have been grateful. Tony was helping him after all. He'd been as good as a friend to him, and when Eddy thought of the man, it was not the scoldings that he delivered that came to mine, but the few days they'd spent glued to the settee, watching films. He'd been too sluggish to do anything other, but those hours with Tony had let him forget about that claggy feeling of depression at least for a little while.

There was also the fact that leading a double life was not as easy as book characters made it out to be. How often had he almost spoke to Peter about his alternative, superhero identity? He'd done it as often as he'd done it with Spider-Man too. Last night had been hard. Only now did he stop to think what Peter and Ned must've thought. The switch between was exhausting.

Eddy leaned his head against the bed as the music blared across the room, seeming to get louder by the minute. He looked to the band that covered his wrist, thin and discreet. His other hand gravitated toward it, his fingers spreading across the hard, strange material. Rip it off. He should have torn it from his body at that instance, just to prevent the temptation, to follow Tony's orders. But Eddy didn't. Behind his back, he hid the banded hand from his sight and instead moved his attention back to the loud music that Friday was projecting through the compound.

"You wanted me to wake you up early, Mr Carter," her response came calmly, making Eddy sigh and cover his eyes.

"It's Eddy, Friday," he told her as he had hundreds of times before. "Why early?"

"Today is the day you wanted to work in the lab."

"Oh yeah," he said as he paused before making himself stand on wobbly legs.