Chapter 15

Beam's POV

I came to Yo's piano rehearsal with Pha and Kit. I was dreaded the whole way. Yes, I told Pha we should let Yo decide. I sounded confident, but deep down I was terrified. I know Yo loves me now. But Pha is his first love and people said first love never dies. Yo let go because he didn't feel any hope in loving Pha. Now that Pha admitted his feelings, will the old love come back and blocking his new love?

We waited in front of the back door of the auditorium. Nobody speaks. We didn't even look at one another. We have been friends for so long. I am so scared that whatever Yo's decision, our friendship will never be the same.

"Phi...?"

I saw Yo and Ming walk to us. They both seems tired and sleepy, Yo in particular.

I want to run and hold him. I want to carry him and take him away as far as I can. Away from Pha, away from anyone. Just the two of us. But my feet are so heavy.

Pha step forward. "Nong Wayo, last night and this morning I have made myself clear. I have been in love with you since high school. I know that you have feelings for me too," said Phana. "All I ask is just a chance. A chance to prove that I am the one for you. Beam knows my feelings, yet he still snatched you away from me. This is so unfair!"

I clench my fist, but I didn't say anything. I look down and pray. I want to cry, but I won't. I don't want to let Yo see my sorrow. I have made a promise to myself. This is all about Yo.

"P'Beam," he walks closer to me. "Say something..."

"Yo..."

"Are you giving up on me?"

"No!" I grab his hands and hold them tight. "Ai Pha asked for a chance to prove his feelings. But I also ask you to consider my feelings."

"What do you both want then?"

"It's your decision, Yo." I said, trembling. "Who will you choose? Me or Ai Pha?"

"Will you accept my decision?"

I really want to cry now. "All I want is your happiness, Yo."

He turns to see Pha. "How about you, P'Pha? Will you accept my decision?"

Phana tightened his jaw and nod. "I will."

"Then please watch my performance tomorrow." Yo smiled. "I dedicate my performance to the one I love."

I stare at him, try to search the answer in his eyes. To the one he loves? Please let it be me. Please God....

Yo turns to see Ming. "Can I ride with you, Ai Ming?"

"You can back home with me, Nong Wayo," said Phana.

I open my mouth to say that I will take him home, but he shakes his head. "I need some time alone."

Ming steals a glance at Kit then put his arm around Yo's shoulder. "Come, Ai Yo," said Ming softly.

I watch them walk away till I can't see them anymore.

"After N'Yo tells you his decision, then what? Will you both accept and move on? By move on, I mean, forget about this and go back to our friendship? Or will we break up?" Kit asked. He seems upset. I can understand his frustration. He holds this friendship dearly. We have other friends, but no one can be as close.

I turn to see Pha. His face is still cold, but I see sadness in his eyes. He cares about us too. This friendship also matters to him. He didn't say anything, just walk away.

"I guess we will find out soon, won't we?" said Kit sad, looking at the direction where Pha left.

Kit and I walk back to my car. We didn't talk. We didn't even see each other.