Scene 15

After School practice.

James: All right guys, I have a couple of announcements. First I want Jeremiah and Isabella to lead us in chorography.

Everyone claps.

James: And also, I wanted to throw some rapping in there, so Cameron and Katrina, who I heard was a good rapper can take that on. I have seen no other choir attempt this so this will be something new to the judges.

Katrina: Rap! Who told I cou…. Jesse!

Jesse: Sorry baby, but this could really helps us, just pretend like you’re in the car with me.

Everyone pleads.

Katrina: Fine, whatever.

James: All right and that is practice. Jesse, can I talk to you for a second?

Jesse: Wassup?

James gives him a look.

Jesse: Yes sir?

James: I want to talk to you. I want to know what is making you disrespect your mother. She is bending over backwards to take care of you and your siblings.

Jesse rolls his eyes.

James: I’m serious; I see how much she loves you and wants to be there for you guys. True, she can be stubborn, but it all comes from love. Do you ever wonder why you have that IPhone or those nice shoes or that car in the parking lot? Your mother makes that happen. God has blessed your mother with a wonderful job that gives her the ability to provide for you guys.

Jesse: You’re saying this like I care.

James: Why are you so angry? What happened to make you have so much hatred towards your mother?

Jesse: How about not having my dad there. Yeah, he’s always on the road, how he left my mom with four kids. How my older brother had to step up and take care of us. How she is always missing everything that involves her children. So yeah, she buys me this phone, these shoes, or that car to make up for it. But you know what the irony of that is…It gets old real fast.

James: Look, I’m sorry that your father isn’t there. I know how that feels. My dad left me when I was 9. He started a new family, new life, left my siblings, mother, and I out of it. But since you’re the oldest as of right now, I want you to be the rock for your family. Be the man who protects your mom and Isabella. Be that man who helps his brother instead of bullying him. I would never have treated my younger brother like you do yours. It’s time to grow up.

Jesse: Whatever man!

He walks out of the choir room. James sighs.

                             At Vanessa’s job.

Vanessa has just finished her 10:00 segment.

Vanessa: Thank you and goodnight.

Harvey starts to clap. Everyone follows Harvey’s lead.

Harvey: Vanessa! Great as always.

Vanessa: Uhmm….Thanks Harvey.

Harvey: I need you to step into my office.

She goes into his office and sits down. He closes the door behind him.

Harvey: You’ve been here for how long Vanessa?

Vanessa: 10 years sir.

Harvey: 10 long, hard, difficult years and you still look fine.

Vanessa: Excuse me!

Harvey slides everything off his table.

Harvey: I saw the way you look at me, that’s why I have you work those long hours, to watch your work that dress and them heels.

Harvey starts to look at her legs.

Vanessa: You know this is crazy, I’m leaving.

Harvey runs over to her and begins to kiss her.

Vanessa pushes him off, kicks him in the nuts, and pepper sprays him.

Vanessa: Hell No! You lost your everlasting mind.

Harvey: You bitch! You’re fired! Get out of here!

Vanessa: Gladly, perverted ass. I can’t believe this.

Vanessa walks out and Pam walks with her.

Pamela: Girl, what’s wrong with you?

Vanessa: I just had been fired! That pervert kissed me in there, talking about how he made me work long hours just to watch me walk around in these dresses.

Pamela: Oh hell no!

Pamela is about walk back in, but Vanessa grabs her.

Vanessa: It’s no use; it’s his word against mine.

Pamela: Not yet! I think this is a job for the squad.

Vanessa: Oh lord! Not them.

Pamela: Yes them, if he did it to you, what makes you think he won’t try this sexy caramel…

Vanessa: Pam!

Pamela: Sorry, let me round them up and do some digging.  Are you going to be alright?

Vanessa: Yeah, I have enough money for us; I’m not going to tell the kids.

Pamela: If there is anything you need, you know I’m here for you girl!

Vanessa: Always!

They hug.