Scene 13

Hospital.

We find that Kayla has slipped into a coma. James walks over and sits by her bed.

James: Hey baby girl. I know you’re in so much pain, but daddy is working on getting you out of here. I formed a group baby, The Dysfunctionals, and we are going to win the competition and get the hospital the money to get you out of here.

He starts to cry.

James: I miss having you at home, how your personality lights up the whole house. Like when you were 4, you would waddle over to the stereo and hit the play button. And “Lean on me” would play. You would start to dance and fall every single time. I hate seeing you like this, but don’t you worry, I will save you…. Daddy’s going to save you.

                             District Meet.

James: Here we are guys, I’m going to sign us in with the judges and I’ll be back.

James walks over to the board to sign in with the judges. He then sees the choir director for The Dynamo’s, Tanner Shelton, walks over.

James: You’re Tanner Shelton.

Tanner: Oh thank god, you’re here; I need a Mocha Frappe, two pumps of espresso, hold the whip, and no caramel this time.

James laughs.

James: You must have me confused with someone else. My name is James Williams. I’m entering my choir into the competition, The Dysfunctionals.

James reaches his hand out for a handshake. Tanner looks at it in disgust.

Tanner: The who’s. You must be either new or lost, so I’m going to give you a friendly introduction. My name is Tanner Shelton, Platinum Recording artist, who has coached, groomed, and lead The Dynamo’s to victory six years in a row. I have won multiple music awards, sung to President’s Obama daughters, had brunch with The Queen of England, and bought two mansions on the coast of Puerto Rico all in the same day. Now if I were you, I would just pretend you never introduced yourself to me and take your little ghetto, from the hood, reject choir back to the Projects or whatever hole you guys crawled out of, and never look back, do I make myself clear.

James looks back behind him and looks at Tanner. He laughs.

James: Now that you took five minutes from my life and melted my face with your hot ass breath, let me introduce myself.

James: My name is James Williams. I teach choir at (High school name). I came from (City name) and I’m going to enter my talented kids into this competition. I have paid of y car, got accepted for food stamps, won $5 on a scratch off, and paid my rent all in the same damn day. Now my choir is here to stay and they 10x better than your last song that you made in 1992. We are here to compete, win, take the money back to our little hole and claim the title from your little manicured fingers, now do I make myself clear?