Scene 22

Waiting Room.

Everyone is waiting in the waiting room, on news of how Kayla is doing. The doctor walks over to James. He delivers the news that Kayla has died. James breaks down crying. Vanessa runs over to hug him and everyone else either follows or cries.

                                    Funeral.

The whole town is present at the funeral. The pastor gives a sermon. Jesse runs over to the deacon and whispers into his ear. As everyone is clapping, the deacon walks over to the pastor and whispers into his ear.

Pastor: And now as a surprise treat, we will have Mr. Williams own choir come up and sing a song.

Everyone claps as the choir members walk up to the stage. Jesse takes the mic.

Jesse: Good morning, how is everyone doing?

Everyone shouts a response.

Jesse: God is good.

Everyone: All the time.

Jesse: When I first met Mr. James, I hated him. The fact that he was always on me. Every little wrong choice or decision I made, it was always caught by him. I tried to come up with these different excuses of why he cared so much about me, about us.

Jesse: We know that you wanted us to win the competition so that you could pay for your daughter’s funeral. But God called her home. But know that she is safe and she will always watch over you until you see her again. The choir and I wanted to sing your daughter’s favorite song as a gift to show you that we all listen, care, and love you like a father.

They sing “Lean on Me”.

James looks at Vanessa.

James: You remembered?

Vanessa: Of course, James, you may have lost a daughter, but you gained so much more and I know that Kayla is very proud of you for who you have become.

The whole church gets up and starts to clap, as the song is close to ending, Kodi runs over and hugs James. Everyone else proceeds to do the same. The song ends. Everyone sits down as James walks over to speak.

James: How is everyone doing today?

Everyone shouts.

James: I just want to thank everyone for not coming only coming to Kayla’s funeral, but the celebration of her life. Kayla had the heart of a lamb. She loved anyone, despite any faults that they had. Kayla was this bright ray of sunshine that could light anyone’s day. But then she had this wisdom, as if she was already here before me. I could have saved her with that money, I could have. But now that I know that she is in a far better place I could have her put her in. But I know that she would not want me to sit and weep, but to help those who need me the most.

James looks at the choir.

James: I met my kids and yes I called them my kids because they are a part of me as I am to them. They can be quite a handful, with so many personalities; I was scared we would have become a reality show. But these kids not only saved me but taught me a very important lesson: Never give up! Now that might seem simple and plain, but it’s significance is in what angle you look at it. I plan on not giving up in this choir as Kayla wouldn’t have wanted me too or neither my kids. We are going to compete in the state competition and we will win. Come up here guys!

The choir races up to the front.

James: Let’s lead the church in our cheer before every competition. Dysfunctionals on three….One…..Two…Three.

Everyone: Dysfunctionals!