Chapter 2.2--Natasha

Start from the beginning

"I know you have to go, Nat. But can I kiss you?" Steve asked hesitantly.

I nodded. "Yeah, I'd like that."

He leaned in and kissed me. I tugged at the front of his shirt and pulled him on top of me.

"Nat, you're gonna be late for work," Steve said but didn't stop kissing me.

"Then I'll be late." I smiled and ran my hands through his hair.

"Wait, Nat." Steve stopped and propped himself up.

"Steve." I looked at him, taking his face in my hands. "Hey. What's going on?"

Steve sighed, straightening out his shirt. "Look, Nat, I want this—us—" he gestured between us. "But I also want to know what you want."

"All I want is for this to work between us."

Steve nodded. "I agree. But I think we should keep things slow."

"You're right." I sat up. "The last thing we need is for the team to find out right now. I should've—I'm sorry."

He tucked a stray hair behind my ear. "Don't apologize. We're figuring out what works for us."

"Thanks."

"So does this mean we're officially dating?"

I smiled. "Unofficially dating. And I really appreciate you respecting the complicated nature of our relationship."

"Well, complicated is my middle name."

I laughed and pressed a small kiss to his cheek. "I really have to go, but we'll talk later."

Before I left for work, I dropped my report off with Tony, who was still not happy about having to wait even longer for it. I convinced him to drop the issue and he obeyed.

"Are we getting anywhere with the case, Romanoff?" Tony asked.

I scratched my head. "Not really. But I'm working on Emery."

"You think we need to up the game?"

"Maybe. I'll talk with Emery and we can reconvene after work. But if I don't get going, I won't have a job or an in on the whole situation."

Tony nodded and waved.

Once at the diner, I made amends with my boss for why I was late and got to work. Emery caught me behind the counter as we cleaned up before customers started arriving.

"Late night?" she asked.

"Just a late start this morning. Car trouble."

Emery smiled. "Glad I got the story right." She bumped me with her hip. "Anyway, did you have fun last night?"

"I did. But nothing happened."

"I don't believe that for a minute."

"Well, believe it." I tossed her the cleaning cloth. "I told him I want to take things slow."

"Good for you, Nat," Emery said. "I'm proud of you."

"Thanks, Em."

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Steve called me right after I clocked out from work. I smiled as I picked up my cell.

"Hey you," I said. "What's up?"

"Wanna meet me at the park? Fifteen minutes?" Steve asked.

"Yeah. Is everything ok?"

"Everything is great. I just wanted to see you."