||15||

•15•

“Can I see them?” he asked and I looked at him. I thought he was making fun of me and would be disgusted to know that I hurt myself but I only saw sadness in his eyes.

I closed my eyes to take a breathe and pulled the shoulder of my dress to the side to show him the place where I cut my shoulder. I felt his fingers over the cut marks and a shiver went down my spine. Was I attracted to him? He was good looking and caring. He was respectful towards me. But did I like him? No. I couldn’t. I promised myself to never.

“You are the strongest woman I have met.” He said softly.

“If these scars shows anything. It shows how weak and pathetic I am.” I mumbled.

“It shows your strength. You rose from this. You didn’t let this keep you down and I am really proud of you for this.” 

I felt tears brimming in my eyes once again. And quickly wiped them so that he couldn’t see them. He had no idea what he had done for me. We sat there for a while. He was still holding my hand showing me silent support and we looked at the tree in front of us.

“It’s Riley’s fifth birthday this month.” He said all of a sudden. I knew he did it to change the topic.

At the mention of his name, my face broke into a smile. God knows why, Every time I saw him it felt like he was my own kid. 

“I had no idea.” I admitted. “So, do you have any plans?”

“I don’t know. I would have thrown him a party but he doesn’t have many friends and gets uncomfortable among people.” He gave me a sideways look.

“Yeah! Except me.” I said dramatically throwing my right hand in the air for effect.

He chuckled. “Looks like you have heard that quiet a lot.” 

“Trust me, I have.” 

“I usually spend my day with him on that day. We have small family time. Vince and Cade join us.” 

Again no mention of his wife? Was she dead or did she leave him? Why would a woman in right mind would leave a man like him? He was rich, handsome, caring and sure he must have loved his wife. The thought of his wife made me really uncomfortable. I already hated the woman despite knowing about her. she must have had her reasons but how could she leave that precious little boy alone. Everyone needs a mother. I couldn’t help compare her to Teresa.

JAVIER POV

I looked at her face in the dim light. She was really beautiful. I took in her green eyes as she was lost in her thoughts. I had lost it when I saw that piece of shit manhandling her. the tears on her face or the fear in her eyes didn’t help either. Even Cade was angry to see this happening in his club. I wanted to beat the shit out of him for hurting a woman but I controlled myself. I couldn’t have stopped with just a punch and I didn’t want to create a scene. Yes, I was a violent person. But I have kept myself in control ever since Riley came into picture.

When I learned what he had done to her, I so regretted not killing him. He deserved to suffer. I wanted to get up , go to club and find that bastard. I could hear from the story what she had done for him but that loser didn’t deserve her. I stopped myself from leaving because she needed someone here. With her. it was weird how much I wanted to comfort her. I had seen women crying before but none of their tears affected me like hers. I never wanted to see her cry again.

Now I understood why she loved Riley so much. Just like Riley hoped to find a mother, she was looking for her child in him.

She was still lost in her thought. I had started the conversation about Lee’s birthday to distract her. the smile on her face at the mention told me I was successful. But again she started thinking something.

“What are you thinking?” I couldn’t help asking.

“About your wife.” She said still in a daze but her eyes widened when she realized what she had asked.

I felt punched to the gut. I have never told anyone about the truth and I was never going to. I knew she would ask questions because of her involvement with Lee but that doesn’t mean I was obliged to share my sad story with her. It wasn’t even my story for god’s sake.

I stood up and saw her standing up from the corner of my eyes. 

“It’s late. I should drop you home now.” I said and started walking towards my car without waiting for her. My mind was a mess right now.

ELISE’S POV

I don’t know what I was thinking blurting out the question like that. Just because he heard me doesn’t mean he would start sharing his stories with me. To say I wasn’t hurt would be a lie. I felt hurt knowing that though I trusted him, he doesn’t. But I also understand that he may not want to share stuff with me. I was his employee. Just an employee. We weren’t even friends. Why would he?

He stood up from the bench and walked away saying it was late. He didn’t even wait for me and was already inside his car by the time I reached the car. I sat there quietly. I was grateful for the full sleeves of my dress because it hid my goosebumps due to the cold. I had no desire to make this more cliché by making him give me his blazer. I loved cliché but not anymore. Love has no place in my life.

We spent the entire drive in silence. The tension could be felt in the air. It was so nice before I opened my big mouth and ruined it. He was like a different person in the park. I saw a different side of him before he closed himself again.

He had a tight grip on the steering wheel and his jaw was clenched. Either he was angry with me or whatever he was thinking wasn’t a happy thought. I don’t know what I wanted it to be. I didn’t want him to be angry with me, it could cost me my job. But I also didn’t want something bad to happen to him or Riley. 

I didn’t realize we had reached my house when the car stopped.

“um. I will see you tomorrow?” I asked. What I wanted to ask was ‘Did I still have a job?’

He nodded in response without looking my way. I sighed and climbed out. I closed the door behind me and was to walk away when he suddenly spoke.

“Elise.” I turned to look at him. He the rolled the window down.

I leaned down to listen to him.

“Riley isn’t my son but my half-brother.” He drove away with that. I stood there in shock at the street with what I had just heard. Riley and Javier were brothers. God, that was so complicated….