||05||

•05•

JAVIER’S POV

It was a very busy day at work. I wanted to finish my work soon so that I can be home with Riley when he returns from his daycare. I had just hired a new nanny for him and she was supposed to pick him up right now. I looked at the file infront of me which I was proof reading. My old PA had resigned a week ago, so I had to do these things myself. I might be a billionaire but I am not a workaholic. I like to balance my home and work. That way I can be close to my son whenever he needs me. Lee was still five and being a single parent it is my responsibility to ensure that he gets the best childhood.

“Vin, did you give the ad for a secretary?” I asked my best friend and manager, Vincent.

“Don’t worry boss. I will short list the candidates by Thursday and you can have your pick on Friday.” He told me and left with all the files that I have signed for the office. I checked my watch. It was already twelve thirty and I haven’t heard from Lee yet. He was supposed to be back an hour ago. Today his school was halfday and I had an appointment in that time. So I let the nanny pick him up. I had also asked her to treat him so that he doesn’t feel ignored. Riley was a very reserved kid. He didn’t open up to anyone. The only people he liked was me, Vince and our housekeeper George. I decided to call the nanny Sarah to check where my baby was.

However , before I could call anyone , my phone beeped and it was an unknown number.

“Hello.” I answered. Not many people had this number. It was one I kept only for my closest people.

“Um hello. I am Elliot Rivers. Is it Riley’s father?” The person Rivers asked. I was surprised how did he knew my kid.

“How do you know Riley?” I asked in anger. I don’t know anyone by that name and if the person think that they can harm him, I will make sure they get the most slow and painful death.

“Well, we met at the mall…” Mall? What was Riley doing in mall? How did he get there? I will get rid of that bitch nanny once they get home. I was ignoring her flirting and her attempts to seduce me for my kid but I will not forgive anyone for endangering my child.

“What do you want?” I snapped.

“Look, I don’t want anything from you. Riley is with us. His nanny isn’t around here. Will you come and get your son because I have a job where I have to go.” With that the person cut the call. Maybe he was irritated by my tone. But I was worried. When he said Riley is with him, I thought they have kidnapped my child. For a moment air was knocked out of my chest. Money isn’t a problem for me. I can and would have given whatever they want. I was worried for his safety. Which reminds me of the bitch.

Before I could curse the woman who so carelessly left my son alone and as a result my son was with strangers right now, my phone beeped. It was an address to the mall. Foolish me. I didn’t even ask which mall they were in. My poor baby he must be so scared. He doesn’t like being with strangers and he was with one right now.

I parked in front of the mall and looked around for my baby. The caller didn’t tell me where they were. I was looking around when I heard him. Within a second he was hugging me. I picked him up and hugged him to my chest. 

“Are you all right?” I asked and checked him for any injury. Apart from the chocolate smeared on his face, he looked absolutely fine. He even looked… happy. I had expected a crying, sobbing Riley. Not that I wasn’t happy that my son was fine and happy. I was just surprised. He had spent the past hour with stranger and he was happy. It was a great thing. He was opening up with people.

We climbed inside the car and Lee waved to some Ellie who waved him back. I couldn’t see the face and didn’t care about it. I will call him later and thank him.

“Where is Sarah?” I asked my son after cleaning his face with a napkin.

“I don’t know.” He huffed and crossed his hands over his chest. He was pouting and looked adorable. My sweet child.

“Can you tell me what happened?” I started driving.

“Sarah and her friend were talking for hours. I was bored. I said I wanted to go home. And she said…” his lips started trembling.

“What did she say?” I didn’t want to make him cry but I needed to know what happened so I could punish that woman.

“She said why I want to go home. My mommy don’t love me and therefore left me. And she said you will leave me too.” He started crying. I stopped the car and pulled him on my lap.

“Shh! You know Daddy loves you Lee. I will never leave you.” I said softly. I was really pissed with her right now.

“So I left her and ran away.” He continued hiccupping. “I got lost and wanted to go back but there was a bad man. He had a knife too.” 

I thought I couldn’t get more angry a moment ago but listening that my son had been in such danger and that too in broad daylight, I felt angry and helpless. I wasn’t there to help him. My child. However, if I expected him to be scared, I was so wrong. My son was shocking me today. He looked glad right now.

“And then Ellie came. She picked me up and then she saved me like hero. Lee helped too.” He told me happily.

Oh , so there were two people. I should thank both of them. It was because of them my baby was safe right now. I might be considered arrogant, cold and emotionless but as far as my son is considered, I can step down and become grateful to those who are good to him.

After feeding Lee and putting him to bed, I called Vince to get rid of that nanny and make sure no one hires her as a nanny. I also asked him to look for a new nanny.