||06||

•06•

ELISE’S POV

It had been a week since the mall incident and truth be told I was warming up to my brother. That was why I had decided to cook dinner today. I knew Lee loved spaghetti and I was told I cooked amazing spaghetti. I know things can never be the same between us ever. There is too much anger inside me to forget all that happened in the five years but I could try. I know he was trying too.

I was in the kitchen when I heard the door open. Since there have been just two of us who had the keys, I knew it was him.

“I am back.” Lee shouted from the door. He went upstairs where I usually was when he came back. I could hear him open my bedroom door and then stomping of feet as he ran downstairs. 

“Ellie.” He called. His voice was a little shaky and he looked scared. I cleared my throat to get his attention. Relief washed over his features instantly. He took few long strides and I was immediately pulled in an embrace. I stood there awkwardly. It had been a while since someone had hugged me and well it felt nice. I wanted to hug him back but what if I put my guard down and then he hurt me again?

“I cooked dinner.” I croaked when he realized me. He looked confused and then understood as his eye noticed the cookware.

“Really?” He asked surprised. Then taking a sniff, he exclaimed. “Spaghetti! And it smells DELICIOUS!” I couldn’t stop the giggle that left me on hearing him excited and I was again pulled in a hug. I and Lee we were both good cook since Dad was a chef he taught us cooking and experimenting.

“I missed you Ellie.” He murmured and I could tell he hadn’t intended for me to hear that. But it was a lie, wasn’t it? Why was he lying to himself? If he had missed me he wouldn’t have left me like that without a single text or call in five years.

“Go change. It will be ready in a few minutes.” I looked away from him trying to force my tears back.

“Okay.” He grinned at me and left.

It took him few minutes to come downstairs dressed in a blue t shirt and sweat pants. He was handsome like always. In high school, girls tried to use me to get to him and I hadn’t talked to him for a day after realizing that my friends were fake all thanks to me. But then, the next day he ditched all his friends to sit with me at lunch and I couldn’t stay angry with him after that.

“Did you get any reply from those jobs you applied for?” he asked conversationally picking up the plates for cleaning.

“Um. No.” I had been looking for a job for long now. But since I was straight out of college with zero experience apart from the few babysitting jobs and waitress shifts, I hadn’t got a job yet. It wasn’t my fault that I couldn’t apply for a proper internship during my business degree with all that was going on in my life.

“I heard from my boss that Kell Co. is looking for a personal assistant. I thought you would like to apply there too. I mean they aren’t looking for experience precisely.”

“Kell Co. you said?” I asked googling the name on my phone.

“Yes. It’s a big thing. Basically, it is Kellen Corporation but it goes by Kell Co. and it is billions of dollar business so if you get in, you will get good pay.” He said.

“IF I get in and I am not a Harvard or Yale alumni to get such a job. Normal companies aren’t hiring me why will they be interested.”

“What is the problem in trying, Ellie? Worst scenario, you will get rejected. That’s not that bad.” He was done cleaning and wiped his hand on the kitchen towel. “At least give it a thought?” 

I nodded and made my way upstairs to change into my pajamas. It was plain grey crop top with matching shorts. After a bath, I sat down with my laptop to look at the Kell Co. It was indeed a huge business venture. They had contracts from all over the country and had constructed many amazing pieces of work. I was not an architect but could tell that the organization did marvelous work. I, then proceeded to the job requirement. As Lee had said, it wasn’t too demanding. Qualification wise. Otherwise, I was supposed to work more than twelve hours a day , apparently because that was how long the boss worked. That’s really a lot of work. 

I don’t know why but I applied. Maybe because I was sure that I won’t be selected. I typed a mail and attached my resume before sending it to the given email address. It was the last date to apply and by the time I hit the send button, seven minutes were left for midnight. The interview was supposed to be a day later, so I pulled on my quilt over me and slept for the night with the rain pounding heavily on my window.

“What are you doing?” I asked as I stood in the kitchen. I had woken up late and had expected Lee to be at work while coming down for breakfast.

“Having juice.” He said pointing to the carton of orange juice in his hand.

“At home, I meant. Shouldn’t you be at work?” I asked.

“I took the day off. I though I could show you around. You know there is a carnival not so far from here.” He said excitedly. “We can watch movies later and talk. I want to know about all those years…”

“You want to know now?” I sneered angrily. Now he wanted to know. “What will you do with that, huh? Enjoy with popcorn, how I suffered all those years while you were having the time of your life here.”

I saw the smile leave his face and him pulling his hair. 

“What’s your problem , Ellie?” he asked angrily, smacking his hand on the kitchen counter. I was feeling so happy to see his angry that I felt sick with myself. All these days, he had these fake smiles on his face that it irritated me. It made me want to believe that he wanted me to be here with. Now he would say the truth. 

“I knew I shouldn’t have left you alone, Okay? I know. But I am glad that I didn’t bring you here with me back then. My life hasn’t been sunshine and rainbows either. If only you knew what all these years have been like for me!”

“And whose fault is that?” I also asked in anger. “Do you think it’s all about leaving me alone? I am angry because you never came back Lee. NEVER! I waited for you. I waited for years for you to come back. I thought you loved me.” I felt tears flow down my cheek and Lee noticed it too. I wiped it quickly. My anger with him increased. I had promised with myself to never let anyone see me cry. He made me break that promise. I turned away to leave. Before I could open the door and leave, I heard him.

“I love you Elise. You know that too. And I tried to come back to you. It was you who didn’t let me.” His voice was soft and gentle. He was on the verge of breaking too. I vamoosed out of the house before either of us  broke down.