The rebels

"Why are you making that face?"

"Which face?"

"The face you're doing right now. Are you having second thoughts?" I shoot Tarver an obvious look because I would never have second thoughts about something important like this.

"My dad finally sent me a letter but it seemed like he was rushed. Something is wrong at home and it really worries me."

"I know your dad Kat and I'm sure he can handle it. You need to be fully concentrated tonight or else this won't work." I look into his eyes and take a second to calm down.

His eyes wander over my face before they travel down my frame.
"How did you get those?" He nods to my pants and I smile lightly.

"I convinced Rose to make me one just for my free time at the palace. It took a lot of convincing believe me."

"That's the Kat I know." He shoots me a lopsided grin before he presses a short kiss to my cheek. I immediately feel the pit of guilt drop in my stomach like a bag of thousand stones.

Due to our crouched position we're on the same height and it makes it even worse that I would want nothing more than to just kiss him forever right now but we're waiting for the sign.
Whatever that's supposed to be.

I can't even concentrate on this mission right now because last night is playing like a stuck movie in my head. Over and over it feels like Timmy's hands are back on my waist while my hands wander through his hair, the rain a constant background sound with us.

My tongue feels heavy and my blood is pumping irregularly. I kissed someone else that is not Tarver. I cheated on the love of my life and am a coward because I can't even tell him.
It feels horrible to be so close to Tarver and yet so far away.

I couldn't sleep one bit because this mistake is haunting me every minute. The most horrible thing is that I can't seem to regret it.
I don't know if it's Timothée's generous and kind soul that winded me up but every time I rewind us getting on that balcony I can't referee that we kissed.

A sudden beeping sound interrupts my thoughts and I look towards Tarver who's eyes lit up.

"Come on that's the sign." He grabs my hand in his hurriedly and leads us through the dark corridor while my hand feels clammy in his.
I can let myself be distracted by this inconvenience right now because no matter how good the kiss felt with Timmy I know I love Tarver.

And I know I want to spend the rest of my life with this man.
So I follow his lead towards a small door that seems to be for the servants and when Tarver pulls out a card and holds it against the monitor it beeps again and the door opens.

I don't even think about asking him where he got this I just hope that no one is missing his card right now.
Once we step through the door I immediately feel the cool night wind stroke my skin and know that we're outside.