Shelter

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us?" Hailey asks while all the girls slowly leave Madame Croix's class to have a bit free time before dinner starts

"Yes I just wanted to take a walk in the garden." I say book clutched to my chest while I try to act as normal as possible. Despite what happened every girl from the group acts like Marleen was never here which hurts so much more.

She was one of us no matter what she did there is no excuse for just ignoring this whole punishment thing. Hailey and Jenna are the only ones who talk about her but the cautious look on their face and the wandering of their eyes around the hall make it clear that it's actucally a topic they want to stay clear of.

I can't be angry at them because they're trying to voice what they think about it but they grew up in a different environment than I did, that's why they can't be so stubborn about it.

"We could keep you some company I need to move a bit more as well." Jenna says in a soft tone beside her and I smile at them apologetically.

"That's sweet but I just need a bit time to myself. I promise I'll see you at dinner." I tell them and they nod slowly and reluctantly but to my luck they let me leave.

I wander the halls of the palace ignoring the guards eyes, wondering where I go while I walk the familiar way to the garden. I'm not just taking a walk but I know that Tarver is out there patrolling and I really need to see him right now. It seems like he's the only life line I have left here.

But when I see the big wooden double doors that lead outside a hard grip moves around my wrist and drags me behind a corner in a matter of seconds. Oh god I know this is the end. I am going to die quietly and alone and no one is gonna know about it.

Maybe that's better than dying in the open. My eyes are squeezed shut and my whole body goes rigid while I wait for my punishment.

"What the hell are you doing?" A friendly voice chuckles beside my ear and I slowly peel my eyes open to see Timothée stand close to me his hand wrapped around my wrist.

"Oh thank god." I murmur to myself while all the muscles in my body relax.

"Nothing I just thaught you were someone else." I clear my throat and stand up straight to be more close to his height.

"Who? The reap?" He asks sarcastically but when he sees my face the cold smile drops from his lips.

"You should know that no ones going to hurt you here Kat." He says in a serious tone and even though I doubt that, I nod shortly looking at the painting that's hanging on the wall behind him. We didn't talk again since the last time when I told him I didn't wanna leave which he seemed relieved about but still I didn't feel welcome since then.

His grip becomes more loose and I slip my wrist out of his hold the skin on skin contact burning my flesh- not literally.

"I tried to gain your attention at breakfast but you wouldn't look my way."