Secret sign

I don't know if it was five am or four the only thing I knew was that it was too early when the guards knocked against the heavy door and told us that it was safe for us to get back to our rooms

I asked them over a hundred questions half of them including if Timothée was okay and if I could see him but none of them were answered.
I mean they could've told me that he was fine.

At least we could've slept in until ten and I was relieved when I saw Timothée sitting beside his father at the table for breakfast.

The royal family ignored what happened last night and the silence at the start of breakfast slowly disappeared over the time and the chatter of the girls filled the room again.

"Don't you think it's weird?" I whisper towards Jenna who's cutting her egg beside me.

How can she manage to look so elegant while doing it?

"What?"

"That everyone acts like nothing happened? I thought maybe the king would hold a speech or at least Madame Croix would tell us what was going on." I press to get the wheels turn in her head and she looks at me confused.

"We know what happened. Rebels where at the palace they tried to keep us safe."

"But how did the rebels even get close to the palace? How did they trick the guards outside the wall?" I whisper and she shrugs her shoulders lightly.

"This is so suspicious and everyone's acting like everything is fine." I say while my eyes wander over the chatting girls.

"Maybe they don't want to alarm us further..a few of us couldn't handle it that well." She tells me quietly and I shoot her an empathetic look.

"Sorry Jen I'm going to stop." I say and she gives me a thankful smile before she averts her eyes back to her egg.

I can see the shake in her hands and I bite my lip guiltily.
My eyes wander over to Elise who surprisingly already looks at me and she flashes me a small smile which I reciprocate shyly.

Hailey sits beside a black haired girl and I try to catch her gaze because she could probably be the only one that's suspicious as well but either she doesn't notice me staring at her or she ignores it.

I sigh and poke my fork into my scrambled eggs not having any appetite with all these unanswered questions and mysteries.

I let my eyes wander over to the king who's eyebrows are in their usual angry position a shadow laying over his face.
His lips are in a grim line and just now I realize how different he looks from Timothée who seems to have inherited the soft and easy going nature of his mother.

My eyes wander over to him noticing how the light green of his dress shirt complements the color in his eyes. His curls are defined and one stubborn strand falls in his face gently every time he tries to push it back.