Prologue

"Come on take the next step

"Come on take the next step." The blonde woman gives the girl a light push in the back so it stumbles forward in the line of other beautiful girls. Katherine turns around and glares at her mother but she looks less intimidating than normally due to her outer appareance.

Her mom dressed her in the only beautiful blue dress they had. White hem drapes over the blue color littered with small white perles. The dress looks like it represents the ocean that adjacents to Arendelle. She tucked the long bronze locks of her daughter up in a beautiful knot making her strong cheekbones stand out.

She wished she could've accentuated her daughters green eyes but the money didn't suffice to buy make up after she bought the dress.

"This is ridiculous mom. Look at all these desperate girls do you really think I stand a chance to be picked. And even if I get picked I don't want to marry some ugly, arrogant prince I don't know."

"But that's the point Kat. You're getting to know him at the palace over month's you have enough time to fall in love." Her mom says as she strokes her cheek gently. Katherine sighs exhausted. Even if the prince wasn't a stuck up idiot- which he is- she wouldn't fall in love with him.

Her mother doesn't know that her heart belongs to someone else for years now. Tarver Anderson. Tall, dark hair, brown skin and those eyes. Eyes like shining emeralds looking right through your soul. She could never imagine to love someone else than this kind hearted, hardworking young man. He was all she ever had and all she ever wanted.

The girl in front of her moves a side and brings Katherine back to reality. Her mom shoves her gently in front of the man with the camera in his hands. He's dressed in an expensive looking suit making Katherine's eyes widen before she looks at him disgusted.

They have nothing better to do at that palace than to dress nicely and come up with such a ridiculous idea. It's tradition every time the current prince turns eighteen every woman in the country from seventeen to twenty can sign up for the yearly casting.

Thirty women get invited into the palace to get to know the prince so he can choose his wife. Yeah he chooses you not the other way around. Who would deny the prince anyways? Besides Katherine.

She conspires that it's just theatre. A whole distraction from what is really going on in the country. People are dying every day. From hunger, from getting too less money or from committing crimes to protect their family.

The royal family doesn't do anything about it. They're sitting happily on couches made out of gold while they decide which girl is perfect enough for their son. It's ridiculous.

They say everyone has a chance but that's a lie. They'd never choose one of the Do'ers it's the last class in Arendelle. It's the class the royal family couldn't live without.

Farmers, mechanics, artists, musicians and many others are the worker class and providing the king and queen with everything they need. And still they get treated like shit, barely getting any payment to feed their starving children in the family. Katherine's family gets away good everytime.

There's enough food for her three siblings due to her dad's known name in town. He's an artist one of the best and he passes his work down to her. She's proud to be an artist and work for her money but it isn't what her mom envisioned her life to be.

She wanted to see her in dresses and gowns, not worrying about a single thing. She wanted the prince to fall in love with her so Katherine could change things. Change the country and it's curse that's going to drag everything down with until nothings left.

"Maybe smile a bit." The photographer says as he holds up the lense to his eyes while Katherine looks grimly into the camera.

"If I would have anything to smile about I would." She mumbles darkly making her mother scold her.

"Think of Lucy, Geneviéve and Lucas." Her mom whispers and she sighs defeatedly. She's using the threat that convinced Katherine to even start this.

Her family. The debutants get sent money to their home every month for their stay. The longer you stay the more money you get. Katherine straightens her shoulders and tilts her head a bit to the side flahing the camera her most charming smile, making the small dimples appear in both her cheeks.

Her mother nods satisfied as the blinding flashlight appears for a second. The photgrapher looks at the picture for a second before he looks up smiling. "You have a beautiful daughter Mrs. Rutherford." He tells her mom making Katherine roll her eyes.

"I know. That's why she's going to win over the prince's heart." She says happily dropping the formular with information of her daugther into the casket. Katherine struts down the way back home her mom beside her while she thinks about her words.

As if her beauty could mask her complete incompetence to talk to people in a friendly tone. As if she's some piece of meat that the prince would look at and decide that she's going to make a beautiful queen someday. Maybe it's going to turn out that way who knows. What she does know is that if a prince is making such a fuss about it, is that no love will be involved in this marriage and that is something that Katherine could never imagine for herself.

She makes a deal with herself in her mind. If she's getting into the palace she's going to stay as long as she can so her family can have some more money just once in her life. Maybe she can save up herself for her marriage with Tarver because that is what she really wants. Her family would accept their relationship because they'd have enough money to pay for their life's and the debutants immediately get on a higher class once they come back from the palace.

Katherine could be an art teacher if she wants to and even if it means that she'd have a better job than her husband she wouldn't care. As long as he's by her side.

"It's going to turn out great." Her mum says quietly beside her putting an arm around her daughters slender shoulders.

"I hope so." Kathrine says making her mom sigh satisfied. What she doesn't know is that she didn't mean the casting rather the on going life and how to tell Tarver about this new information without making him worried.

That's going to be a roller coaster.