The italians

"What's wrong you look like you've seen a ghost?" I whisper towards Marleen who's sitting beside me face pale

"What's wrong you look like you've seen a ghost?" I whisper towards Marleen who's sitting beside me face pale. She flinches at my voice and I look at her confused while her scared gaze meets mine.

"I don't know I don't feel so good."

"Do you want me to excuse you?" I ask her while I look over to the king and queen who are conversing with the italian family happily. To be honest I expected them to be different. More likely to our royal family, quiet distand and elegant.

The italians are loud, spirited and really sympathetic. To my luck I got seated at the very end of the table and didn't have to talk to them one bit. Celeste is babbling with them just fine which is more than alright for me. I meet Timothée's eyes who raises one brow at me and I smile while I think of his present.

I couldn't thank him yet and I wish this dinner would be finally over but it seems like it's never coming to an end. "No I don't want to make a scene I can do this." Marleen speaks up again gaining my attention and I nod while I grab her hand in my lap. I'm surpsied how clammy her hand is and I'm really worried about her.

Suddenly a few girls stand up and I see some of them taking a stroll through the garden with some of the italian family. Thank god seems like we can move a bit finally. "Hey you wanna go on a walk?" I ask Marleen quietly and she gulps nodding quickly.

We have luck that we sit so far away and I ignore Timothée's eyes following us while we sneak out and start to walk through the garden. Marleen visibly loosens up and I wish she would tell me what's wrong so I could help her but I don't wanna push her.

We walk into the maze and sit down on a bench while she drops her head on my shoulder. I softly start to stroke her hair until I hear her sob. I turn my head surprised to see deep horror on her face. "Hey what's wrong? If you tell me maybe I can help you." I ask her softly and brush the tears from her cheeks.

"I can't. You're going to hate me if I tell you."

"Of course not I could never hate you Marleen." My heart breaks when I look at her because she's the closest thing I got to home here and I don't want her to feel bad. I pull her into my arms while she cries on my shoulder for over twenty minutes. I stroke her back gently while I mumble sweet encouring words in her ear.

When she quiets down I feel her shoulders loosen completely and she sits up with a puffy red nose. "I think you should lay down. No one is even going to notice if you're gone" I tell her and she nods slowly.

"Do you want me to join you?" I ask her while I help her sit up. She shakes her head no and starts to leave the maze but turns around before she disappears.

"Thank you Kat." She says and she manages to give me a small smile before she leaves. I take a big breath and slide my hands into my hair to try and pull myself together. Marleen is a strong girl and if something happened it must've been big to churn her so much.