Gift

I got greeted with three pairs of eyes staring at me when I got into my room

Lucy told Anne and Rose that the prince escorted me to my room and they were all excited and giddy about it to my surprise.

I dodged all their question as good as I could while they got me bathed and dressed. I still feel Lucy's curious eyes on me while she applies some make up but she's too shy to ask me. Anne stayed professional once I said I didn't want to talk about it which is a stark contrast to Rose.

"Of course he was already in love with you, you are so beautiful!" She gushes and I chuckle.

"Who talks about love? He just escorted me I decided..it doesn't matter." I trail off when I realize that I was just about to tell them that I decided to help him with his search for his girl. That wouldn't have ended good.

Anne shoots me a look while she folds my old dress and puts it into my closet.
I move uncomfortably because it feels like she can look right through me and guess my intentions.
"But he is so good looking! Imagine the baby's you two would make." Rose goes on and my eyes widen in horror.

"Rose stop it right now." Anne says sternly making Rose roll her eyes before she gets out the shoes she designed. I sigh when I see the heels because I really don't wanna press my feet into them.

"It doesn't matter if he likes me or not. I'm sure the royal family would never except someone from a low range like I am." I tell them making Anne shake her head.

"The queen herself was from a low range. The kings parents weren't excited when they found out that he fell in love with her. But he fought and did everything he could. Look at them now." She says and I shoot her a wary look. I'm surprised that the queen was from low range it's not what I expected but I'm more surprised due to the fact to hear such words about the king.

He doesn't exactly act like he is in love and I can't imagine him in his younger years rebelling against his parents.
"It's weird to think of him like that." I say quietly and Anne gives me a small smile.

"We were all teenagers at some time Miss Kat. But sadly the king had to grow up quickly when his father died and I can't imagine how hard his tasks were as a young boy as well as today."
She says and I nod. I always thought the royal family were the bad people but the more I think about it the more doubts I get.

"How..how are the family friends?" I dare to ask after a few minutes of silence when Lucy finishes the light makeup on my face.

"They're high up in royalty. I heard the Italians were coming and the queen as well. They're one of the closest allies to the king and queen. I suggest you try to win them over." Anne says and I look at her scared. That didn't calm my nerves in any way.

"Are you nervous?" Lucy asks sheepishly and I look at her a panicky chuckle escaping my lips.

"Nervous? More like downward frightened." I tell them the truth because I have to talk to someone about it.

"Don't worry in that dress they won't even have the time to give your manners attention. You look absolutely stunning." Rose says as her eyes shine and she holds up the pair of heels.

Her words were meant well but they don't calm my nerves in the slightest bit. "Does that mean my manners are not good?" I look over to Anne who shoots Rose a scolding look.

"Of course not I just wanted.." Rose trails of helplessly and I take a deep breath as the panic comes in quicker waves and rolls over my body, chills appearing on my skin.
Why am I even nervous it shouldn't matter.

Timothée will let me stay no matter how I'm gonna act in front of the Italians. Well I hope so at least but I don't think he'll change his mind.

Anne walks over to grab the shoes out of Roses hands as she walks over to me.
She has a soft smile on her face and it makes me calm down a bit to see her motherly face.

"Be strong and don't back down Miss Kat. As far as I know you until now I believe that you can do this. Talk to them like you talk to us. Open and free. Be the woman you are because you're just perfect like that." She tells me seriously and I slowly nod the panic ebbing off slightly but it's still at the back of my mind.

"I'm going to try."

"The prince is going to be there as well with all the other girls what are the chances that the Italians will give you more than ten minutes of their time?" She reasons and I nod.

I don't want to test the universe but she's right. They're probably not even going to talk to me.
I start to grab the deadly shoes but stop when a knock appears against my door.
I look at Anne surprised while she furrows her brows because we both know that I have at least twenty minutes left until I need to leave.

She walks over to the door and opens it revealing a guard.
"How can I help you?" She asks him while I muster the black box in his hands.

"The prince ordered for me to deliver this package to Miss Kathrine." He says and Anne grabs the box before she closes the door after he left.

Rose squeals beside me and I look at the box still confused.
"Open it! What do you think is going to be inside?" She asks and already rushes over to Anne who has a curious glimmer in her eyes as well.

She hands me over the box and I slowly open it revealing white sheer paper. I slowly push it away and my eyes widen when I realize what's sitting inside of it.

"Ew what in the name of fashion is that!" Rose says and I can't help myself from letting out a surprised laugh.
I slowly grab the black converse out of the box and hold it up in front of my eyes as if it was going to disappear the next second.

"That are converse." I tell them even though I know that they know. I look over to Lucy who's green eyes are widened her hands placed over her heart.
A knowing smile forms onto Anne's lips and I bite my lip happily so I won't laugh again.

He brought me these shoes because I told him that I hate high heels. Something small moves inside of me and it feels like my heart made a little space for something new.

I don't realize what exactly happened but I ignore it as I quickly put on both shoes grinning up at Rose.
"Seems like you don't have to design any high shoes anymore I wish I could say I'm sorry but I'm not."
I chuckle lightly and a small grin etches onto her lips.

"I can't believe he send you shoes! And you still believe he has no interest in you." She says and I look over to Lucy who looks really happy for the first time.

"That was really kind of him." She murmurs and I nod because she's right.
It was kind and maybe that was just the right small nudge I needed to survive this day.

I stand up and do a turn.
"How do they look." I ask them looking at the three of them.
"Horrendous. But it's just you." Rose says and I smile happily that's exactly what I wanted to hear.