Publicity and Charity

"No, no, no, nope-ity nope!"

"Hailey it's just charity banquet!"

"Screw charity, I am not going!" I called back from the other side of the room. Pepper looked at me with one of the stereotypical mom looks but I just pierced my lips stubbornly.

"Hailey."

"Don- do not 'Hailey' me. I invented the 'Hailey,'" I argued as I crossed my arms.

"Please? It won't be that bad you just have to stand there, look pretty, and wave. Plus we're going to have to do this eventually if you ever want to be a public figure of this company," Pepper reasoned softly as we stared each other down.

"Why can I just be an invisible figure to this company? Like you used to be," I asked, gesturing to her causing her to place a hand on her hip, offended. "No offense," I added quickly.

"Offense taken."

"Well...if it is a charity banquet would I not have to eat? I mean sure, humans are dumb but they are not that dumb to not notice me refusing to eat," I paused again as she gave another look. "No offense again."

"And again, offense taken. But yeah, a lot of the people who are going to be there aren't... the brightest. All you would have to do is pick at your food and move it around to make it look like you ate something."

"You are making it sound like I am hiding an eating disorder, my god," I huffed as I pinched the bridge of nose at the idea I might be contemplating going to this thing.

"So you'll do it?" I looked up at her and stared for a moment before groaning.

"Fine!" I caved in, throwing my hands up in defeat making her smile in victory.

"What are you talking about?" Morgan asked curiously as she peeked out from the doorway, looking up at me.

"Nothing, you're sister is just being dramatic again." I placed my hand on my heart in mock offense and gasped dramatically making Morgan giggle.

"And mother is just being a pain in the a-" I started as I scooped Morgan up in my arms but was cut off my Pepper.

"Hailey!"

"I was going to say asset, geez!" I defended, rolling my eyes causing Morgan to mimic me. "You have so little faith in me."

"Can you blame me?" She questioned making me open my mouth but close it after a pause. It was Peppers turn to roll her eyes at me as she scooped Morgan out of my arms and into hers making both of us pout. "And remember, the dress code is formal so where something nice."

"Yeah, yeah I know, I know," I sighed, rolling my eyes before wincing slightly, lifting my hand to my temple. The buzz in my head had gotten suddenly louder, feeling like it was banging repeatedly against my temple.

It had been there since I woke up from my five year coma, like a light buzz from a fridge you never notice until you get a new one and look back at the memory of it. At the funeral it made its way to buzz to static and now transformed into this.

"Hailey? You alright?" I heard Pepper say through the buzz causing me to shake my head out of the sound and concentrate.

"Yeah, obviously it's- uh it is just my annoying system again," I lied, laughing it off with ease. She nodded, still concerned but brushed it off when I did.

"Alright...but remember-"

"Wear something formal. I know!" I laughed genuinely at her stereotypical motherly nagging.