39. Muffins And Pancakes

Something shifted in the shadows at the end of the hall, and before anyone could say a word, a figure had formed, heading straight for us.

Granger screamed and so did Mrs. Black when her portrait fell and the curtains flew open.

The gray figure was heading towards us, faster as it took the shape of our old headmaster.

"No!" Harry backed up into me, and raised his wand only to freeze, before shouting, "No! It wasn't us! We didn't kill you-"

On the word kill, the figure disappeared and all that was left was the dust, settling on the floor.

Coughing, we all looked around and I smirked slightly seeing Granger curled up on the floor with her arms over her head, meanwhile, Ron was only scared to his skin, as he gently helped her up, "It's all r-right... It's gone...."

Once everything had begun to settle, Mrs. Black began to scream and yell bloody murder upon, "Mudbloods, filth, stains of dishonor, the taint of shame on the house of my fathers-"

I quickly stood in front of the portrait and she quieted right down, "Good evening, Mrs. Black."

"Oh! Scarlett, dear, what brings you back?"

"Well, I'm sort of on the run and I need a place to stay, do you mind me crashing here?"

"Well, not at all! Make yourself at home, my dear!"

I gave her a nod of thanks and closed her curtains once more, "Alright, guys get settled for a bit, I'll get Kreacher to make some food."

They nodded and started roaming the halls as I looked for Kreacher, only I couldn't find him. So I started making my specialty: muffins, and pancakes.

~

"Guys! Come on, into the dining room!"

One by one, they started to file around the table as I placed the food before them, "Okay, so I couldn't find Kreacher but I made muffins and pancakes. I hope that's all right. Oh, and some berries."

I waved my hand and a bowl of fresh berries appeared as Granger and Ron smiled while Harry was busy thinking about something.

I walked behind him and pulled out the chair beside him, sitting down. I grabbed some berries for my plate and a pancake or two.

I put my bag on the chair beside me and pulled out my uncle's notebook.

Throughout my entire life, my uncle had written down everything about me and I was determined to know what he learned. So I read, and I read, taking in every piece of information about me and my abilities.

"What's that?"

As if instinct, I closed the book snapping my eyes upward, "What?"

"Scarlett, what is that?" Granger pointed at the book in my hands as she put another strawberry in her mouth, "That notebook, what is it?"

I shook my head as I put it back in my bag, "Just a notebook. That's all."

"Oh, okay."

I gave an awkward nod towards her before she eyed me and pointed her fork at me, "What?"

"Well... What's in it?"

"Nothing important. It's literally just a notebook. Eat your food."

Rolling my eyes, I stood up and took my bag with me as I left the dining room. I walked up the stairs and took refuge in the room, I last stayed in.

I grabbed the notebook once more and tossed the bag onto the bed as I sought refuge on the chair, while I watched the sun as it began to set.

I flipped through pages and read each word carefully, taking it all in. Soon enough, my eyes started to fall but not until I read two familiar words: topaz ring.

 Soon enough, my eyes started to fall but not until I read two familiar words: topaz ring

I sat up and continued to read about the ring that happened to reside on my own finger.

A topaz ring that keeps her in control, is that, without it, all hope would be lost.

No wonder my uncle made me keep the ring on at all times. I smiled softly at all the memories of the petty arguments about tacky jewelry.

I wanted to see my uncle again even though it hurt to see him each time. Because each time I saw him, he became more and more unrecognizable. I barely knew what he looked like each time I returned.

I continued reading only to slowly fall asleep, however, all I could think about was Draco.