20. Dragon Scales

"Sir, I was wondering if you had any extra Dragon Scales that you could spare? I ran out of my own storage."

He nodded walking over to his shelf, "Well, of course. Might I ask what you're brewing?"

"Oh, nothing too special, I was making a treat for my friends and me. I'm making Crystalised Pineapple, sir. I like my presentation to be perfect though and Dragon Scales are just what I need. But of course, you don't really care why I need them."

"Oh, no, no. I happen to enjoy Crytalised Pineapple."

I reached into my bag pulling out a box, "I have extras if you wanted. I'm sure you'll enjoy them," he smiled handing me a pouch of Dragon Scales whilst I handed him the box of treats.

"Now, Miss Grindelwald-"

"Scarlett is fine, sir."

"Scarlett, thank you for the pineapple. But how did you know I would enjoy them?"

"Intuition, you could say."

I looked out his window as he ate a treat or two before turning to me, "Is there something on your mind, Scarlett?"

"Yes, sir. You see, I couldn't think of anyone else to go to. The other professors, well, they're not like you. They might misunderstand. Especially, Snape. He's my godfather you see, very protective, in a way."

"Go on..." he narrowed his eyes curiously but continued to listen eating another sweet.

"Well, I was in the corridors the other night, and I overheard something rather odd about a bit of rare magic. I thought I could ask you, Snape hasn't been speaking to me lately. But as I recall it, it's called as I understand it a Horcrux."

"I beg your pardon," Slughorn's face contorted but he didn't seem angry as he did in the memory.

"Well, I overheard some of the older students and I've also heard my uncle mention it before. When we used to be close, he used to speak about the possibilities a Horcrux could bring, but he never created one himself."

"I understand, it's only natural to be curious. Your mother was quite curious about this subject herself, must be blood."

I smiled and nodded watching him finish off yet another sweet, "Must be. But what can you tell me perhaps, about how Riddle used the information he learned."

"He was a troubled kid, very bright, but very dangerous. He asked once and only once, yet I regretfully gave him the answers. He split his soul to create the only things that would destroy him even more."

"Ahh, so what you're saying is, you did tell him but I can also see that you wish you hadn't."

"Oh, I do. There is much guilt and regret that weighs in on these broad shoulders." There was a nervous chuckle before I turned, with my back to him.

I smiled and took out another box of sweets ones that weren't laced with Veritiserum and placed it on his desk, "Here, sir. For your time and Dragon Scales."

"Oh, bless you, child. Thank you, I wish you the very-"

We both turned to the door as there was a knock.

He set down the treats and walked to the door, "I'm sorry, sir. I wouldn't bother you if it weren't absolutely essential."

The professor looked back at me as I shrugged hearing Ron in the background, "Where's Romilda?"

"What's the matter with Wenby?"

Harry came closer to the door and whispered, "A very powerful love potion."

"Very well. Better bring him in." He opened the door and both boys walked in, one lovestruck and the other shocked to see me.

I ignored Harry's questioning glances as I turned to the professor, "Thank you again, sir. For the Scales and wisdom of course. I'll bid you goodnight sir."

"Oh, of course, and thank you for the Crystalised Pineapple treats my dear."

I smiled and quickly made my way out as Harry only looked at me, confused until realization fell upon his face. But I was already gone.

~

Later that morning, Dumbledore had returned from his whereabouts and requested to see me in the hospital wing.

I apparated there instantly, only to find an unconscious Ron on the bed with Ginny, Harry, and Granger sitting idly by.

"What's happened?"

"Scarlett, dear, thank you for coming. I'm afraid poor Ronald has been poisoned."

I stayed silent for a moment before nodding in understanding.

"But as for you, Harry, quick thinking on your part, using a Bezoar." I turned to see that McGonagall and Slughorn had followed Dumbledore in.

"You must be very proud of your student, Horace."

"Hm? Oh, yes, very proud."

McGonagall nodded but held a stern face, "I think we can agree, Potter's actions were heroic. But why were they necessary?"

Dumbledore nodded, "Why, indeed?" he turned to Slughorn who was holding a bottle of mead, the same bottle that Draco laced at the party, "This appears to be a gift, Horace. Do you remember who gave you this bottle? Which, by the way, possesses remarkably subtle hints of raspberry and coconut, when polluted with poison."

He handed the bottle to me and I took a smell in, nothing changed, however, as I smelled like raspberries and coconut. But I knew it was poison, it was the poison I gave to Draco.

"Actually, I intended to give it as a gift myself."

"To whom, I might ask?"

"To you, Headmaster." There was a moment of silence as I stayed quiet watching the professors exchange faces.

"Where is he? Where's my Won-Won?" I turned to the headmaster and gave a pleading look.

"Sir, please, I cannot do this again."

He chuckled slightly nodding as I left the room before apparating to my own bedroom. Finding Bella listening to the prophecy once again.

"Why were we destined to meet? Scarlett, don't you know?'

I sighed entering the bathroom changing into something more comfortable, "I don't know. For once I'm stumped."

"Well, sleep on it, I'm sure you'll feel better."

"Since when did you care, Bella?"

"Since my destiny became intertwined with yours. Nighty night, now."

As well both became silent, we fell asleep pondering the same question. Why?