Chapter 4--Steve | EDITED

Start from the beginning

"How do you even do it?" I blurted.

"Do what?"

"Date someone for a mission. How do you...I mean, clearly you don't actually like this Devin guy. Do you?"

"What, you jealous?" She smirked. "No of course I don't, Steve. But I have to play the part. Besides"—she glanced at me—"we all need practice sometimes. You know, just until we find what we're looking for."

I stepped closer, my heart thundering in my chest. "And what is it you're looking for?" I'd said the same words to Peggy all those years ago, words I never thought I'd say to another woman

Her gaze fluttered down to my lips briefly before she met my eyes again. "The right sparring partner."

I swallowed. She knew just how to push those buttons.

"So, what? Are you just gonna stay here?" Natasha asked, moving around me again and walking over to the kitchen to pour herself a glass of water.

"What even is this place, Nat?" I glanced around. There was very simple furniture and nothing on the walls. It wasn't exactly what you'd call a getaway spot, but knowing Natasha it had to have some sort of significance.

"It's an old lockdown point. Secure perimeter, punching bags in the living room. Great reception when sending calls through to Wakanda."

"Do the others know about it?"

Natasha tilted her head. "They know it exists but they also know not to question me on what happens here. And I'd prefer your discretion. The more people who know about it, the less secure it becomes."

"So why let me in?" I raised an eyebrow.

Nat rolled her eyes. "You gave me no choice, Rogers. Plus I don't think Tony would think too highly of me if I had you killed for stumbling upon my super secret personal base of operations."

I smirked. She had a point. "So, um, I'll see you back at the compound?"

"Yeah, see you in a bit." Natasha turned around to go back to her computer but then faced me one last time. Her eyes scanned over my face as if searching for an answer to an unspoken question. She opened her mouth then clamped it shut, pursing her lips.

My heart pounded against my chest as I walked back to my car. Had she been about to kiss me? Or maybe just say something? I had no idea. Natasha was impossible to read at times, even when I thought I knew what she was thinking.

I stayed silent as I drove back to the compound. Hopefully Natasha would still meet me for our rematch tonight at the pool. Maybe everything would make more sense then.

***

Natasha brushed past me on the way to dinner with the team. There was a look in her eye I couldn't quite decipher, and I hadn't gotten the chance to ask her anymore about the cabin from this afternoon.

Although, there was more I needed to ask her about first. Like Devin. I still didn't understand how she could just turn her feelings on and off like that.

"Steve." Sam nudged me with his shoulder. "You know you're staring again."

"Sorry." I glanced down at my food. When I looked up again, I caught Natasha smirking. She smiled into her plate before turning back to her conversation on the other side of the table with Wanda.

"What has even gotten into you?" he murmured.

I shook my head. "Nothing."

We didn't say anything more on the matter until we got back up to our rooms. Sam closed the door then leaned against the frame with his arms crossed over his chest.