Gracias...

I never thought a smile, a simple weak smile, would give me the serenity with so much intensity that made me presume that maybe I'm hallucinating, but then the way my inners are trembling only signifying that whatever I'm witnessing is the truth, ...

I never thought a smile, a simple weak smile, would give me the serenity with so much intensity that made me presume that maybe I'm hallucinating, but then the way my inners are trembling only signifying that whatever I'm witnessing is the truth, not any delusion.

"She got her consciousness this morning around nine, and after examining reports, I can tell that there will be no further complications, even she can recover fully within a week..." Arjun's sound halted when I stepped back and sprang out from the room, hardly controlling the tears which are threatening to break out, but the second I'm out of the room, those are streaming down uncontrollably.

Resting my head on the adjacent wall, I sank down, hugging my knees, and soon Arjun accompanied, settling beside me.

"I was guilty and couldn't forgive myself when I get to know the reason for their deaths, and it began to hurt even more whenever I see those kids lying unconsciously, not knowing if they could able to live or die. I had faced so many confrontations from my loved ones and even lost the most ...precious thing in my life when I decided to treat the kids in this place secretly, but today when I saw her conscious, smiling, I felt like I'm living again." I pour out my feelings in a go, quietly, which I have held with me.

"It was not your fault, Khushi." He said instantly, and the steadiness in his voice clearly stating that he really meant it.

"All said the same, but when I lost a life in my own hands and learning that it's my negligence due to which they died I... I couldn't think the same. Maybe if I had checked every batch of vaccines before administering, they could have lived Arjun. It may sound so selfish, but to lessen my remorse, I stubbornly started to treat them, not heeding to anyone." I break off with a sob, stifling against my knees.

"Sometimes we can't control everything that happens in our life, Khushi, but we can respond to situations, and you're doing damn good by helping them and saving their lives, without thinking about your life so, let go of the thoughts of what would have happened, and focus on the future Khushi... also I don't believe that you're selfish because I know, even if you're not involved in that situation you could have done the same... as You're beautiful in and out, Khushi, and you don't know that." He spoke so much assurance that forces me perplexed.

"Tch, I never know that you're such a crybaby," Arjun says swiftly, changing the atmosphere.

"I, too, thought the same, but these three months proved me so wrong." Cupping my face, I wailed again like a baby, feeling embarrassed, hiding my face beneath my palms, but paused, listening to his chuckle, who then innocently offered tissues. Snatching the tissues, I shoot him a look, affirming that if he laughs anymore, I will kill him.

"What, it's not my fault, you're looking too funny with that red nose." Arjun snickered, bopping my nose.

"It happens whenever I cry hard." I sniffled, wiping my nose, but shortly giggled, seeing Arjun's disgusting look.

"But, seriously, thank you so much for being there with me, for encouraging me when I felt defeated, for comforting me when I'm sad, and especially for not losing hope. These couldn't have happened without you. Also, I know you will say it's your job, but nobody risks their life for their jobs, and I have seen that. Three months back, when I'm struggling by myself, you came here without hesitating for once when Duffer explained the situation. I will be grateful to you forever." I spoke honestly, expressing my gratitude towards him.

"Ouch, I thought in these three months we became close friends, but with this thankyou speech, you made me feel like an outsider." Rubbing his heart with a palm, he spoke dramatically.

"You and outsider, my Mom asks about you more than about me." Rolling my eyes, I stated, slapping his hand lightly.

"Someone is jealous, I think... I can sense the burnt smell in the air." He asserted, bobbing his nose like sniffing something, and I laughed out loud seeing his level of acting, and quickly he followed.

"So, when you're going to inform her parents about her improvement." He questioned slowly once our laughter died down.

"Maybe after she recovers fully and I have to make sure that they will move to another place so no one knows about her presence as it may cause risk to other kid's lives. I hope other kids too recovery soon." I replied with a frown itching my face.

"That day will no longer, Khushi." Squeezing my hand lightly, he affirms firmly, making me believe in his words.

"Hmm... mm, I'm so happy today. I want to go out and be like my old self." I express whispering the last sentence with a genuine smile on my face.

"Then give me a chance." Stretching his hand, he asks me impetuously.

"What???"

"To take you out and show you, you're old self." Arjun acknowledged, making me stand by tugging my wrist gently.

"But the patients..." I got cut off by his immediate response.

"Attendants are there to take care of them, and we will come back soon, I promise." He replied enthusiastically, and with uncertainty, I nodded as yes, causing him to grin. In the next 20 minutes, I got ready in the cabin, which I'm temporarily using as my room. Instructing the attendants to call us immediately if any emergency occurs, I joined Arjun in the car. The ride was fun with his awful, out-of-sync singing.

"Are you serious??!" I yelled once he parked the car out of the club.

"What?! You don't like clubs???" He asked with an appalling reaction like I seriously committed a crime.

"No, I feel suffocated," I murmur as I do, really, and last time when I made I got drunk even though accidentally so, I can't risk this time as Athar...

"Let me show you how you can enjoy yourself in that place." Arjun hastily dragged me, not paying attention to my protests. If I say I didn't have fun for the last one hour, then it will be a dreadful lie because the person in front of me knows how to make the atmosphere lively and happy.

"I don't know that you could dance this well. I hollered amusedly, seeing him dancing efficiently.

"Who said doctors can't dance, huh??." Wiggling his brows, Arjun remarked proudly, swirling me, but my giggle dies down in my throat when my view halt on the familiar person who is now kissing another girl intimately.

I felt like shattering in half, and it pained so much that it seemed suffocating to breathe normally..

———————————————————————————
Like, comment and share, if you like the story.

Love,
Amulya❤️