Chapter 121

Depuis le début

Xu Ran pouted and stopped talking.

Xu Ran waited until the store was ready to close before leaving. Qin Shuwu calculated that he could make at least a hundred taels of silver today, which was a staggering amount. Most restaurants struggled to generate so much money in one day. Qin Shuwu's friends, on the other hand, were the ones who paid the most, therefore he owed them a favor. At the very least, it was a good start.

______

Xu Ran and Liu Tong were planning to go out on the 13th of the month, but after Qin Shuwu mentioned that, they decided to travel up the mountain first. Two of the four dogs stayed at home with Shao Yu and Qin Shuwen. Huasheng was pregnant and became angry, so she had to stay at home.

Xu Ran, Liu Tong and Gao Quan went to the mountain with Taozi and Lizi.

They were familiar with a few typical fruit trees, and now that many were in blossom or had faded away, it was much easier to identify them. They could dig as many trees as they wanted because no one owned the mountain.

When they arrived at the mountain, Xu Ran remarked, "Let's split up. Tongtong will go with one dog, and I will take the other. Dig only small trees and leave the larger ones alone. Don't wreak on the roots. It's blooming season, and if the trees' roots are damaged, they may die."

Gao Quan and Liu Tong nodded and split up.

Neither of them knew the mountain as well as Xu Ran did. Xu Ran was unconcerned. He didn't dare to walk too far into the woods, so he only looked around. There weren't many fruit trees, but there were plenty of delicious wild bur trees. This ripened about the same time as cherries. It had a pleasant sweet and sour flavor when fully ripe.

Xu Ran had an idea. He reasoned that this would take up little space and that he could plant it in a corner. Even if they couldn't sell it, he felt the family could eat it! It must be delicious when dipped in sugar. Xu Ran appeared to have forgotten the objective and dug the bur tree instead.

He still hadn't seen a fruit tree by midday, or he had seen one but didn't do anything about it. He just hung out in the woods. As soon as they exited, Liu Tong noticed him. Liu Tong was carrying a bunch of tiny saplings, some of which had blooms and even fruits on them.

He saw the bur trees piled beside Xu Ran and felt a little strange. Liu Tong asked him, "Ran, why are you digging this? Do you plan to plant this too?"

Xu Ran said, "Yes, I will try! After we plant it, the kids could eat this even if we can't sell it. Besides, as long as it is planted well this year, we can eat the fruit next year."

It was up to Xu Ran to decide. Anyway, it was simple to grow, and they could pick it up in their own backyard. Liu Tong saw that there were a few little cherry trees near Xu Ran, so he dug them up with a hoe. Gao Quan returned after a while with a mound of fruit trees, similar to Liu Tong's, and there were many different types.

Xu Ran looked at the pile of bur trees in front of himself and touched his nose with embarrassment.

Gao Quan didn't say anything and only looked at the bur trees in front of Xu Ran. Because Xu Ran didn't work hard in the morning, he spent his afternoons planting fruit trees, especially while he was digging holes.

Because the sun was not too bright, the roots of the fruit trees were not damaged, and there was dirt on them, at least half of the plants would live after being planted and watered.

They searched the mountain for fruit trees for three days but came up empty-handed. They were planted sparsely on at least five acres of land. Xu Ran set aside a plot of ground and planted the bur trees he had brought back on it, which were fairly thick. It looked lovely when several of them blossomed.