It took a long time to measure the area, and Xu Ran was constantly gazing at the Yamen runners to see whether they were trying to deceive him. Xu Ran had discovered it a few times, but he didn't say anything about it. Instead, he simply approached them and began conversing with them.

Because Xu Ran could see as far as he could see as long as he had eyes, the two Yamen runners couldn't have gone too far ahead of Xu Ran. The Yamen runners were well aware that Xu Ran would have picked up on their ruse. They started measuring the area seriously after a few attempts to exaggerate the extent.

For this location on the mountain, it was finally determined to be 50 mu. It wasn't large enough to cover the entire mountain, but it was massive in terms of planting.

It was fifty taels for fifty mu, based on the price of one tael. Although Xu Ran did not believe it was expensive, the village chief felt Xu Ran had lost too much because the area was not fertile and nothing could grow well there.

Xu Ran was unconcerned about it and told the village chief, "If it's a nice location, I doubt I'll be able to acquire it easily. Even the villagers, aside from Yamen, must have complaints. Even if it isn't very good right now, I can grow it on my own and no one will be able to tell."

The village chief felt Xu Ran's words were indeed reasonable at the thought of the villagers, so he said, "Your call! You have to buy it even if you don't want now since the area has been measured already."

Xu Ran chuckled and walked over to greet the Yamen runners, "Thank you for your hard work. Let's have lunch at my house! I will go to the town to handle the deed with you after lunch."

The Yamen runners both nodded in agreement when hearing Xu Ran wanted to invite them to lunch.

On their journey up the mountain, they didn't spot Xu Ran's newly remodeled house. However, when they descended the slope, they were able to see the house clearly. It was a newly constructed house with black bricks and tiles that appeared to be exceedingly large and could only belong to the town's wealthiest residents.

One of the runners asked the village chief, "I didn't expect there is such a nice house in your village. Whose house is it?"

When Xu Ran looked at the village chief and saw that he had nothing to say, he continued, "Sir, the owner of this house is from the town as well, having previously resided in Xu Village. He later relocated to the town after making a fortune in business. However, because the owner is sentimental, he returned to build that house last year and frequently returns to live there."

"Is there usually no one living in such a good house? I really want to visit the owner of this house," another runner echoed.

"I am not clear, but someone should live there! The family has four big dogs and strangers would be bitten as long as they approach the house. And..." Xu Ran pretended that it was inconvenient to say the remaining words and stopped.

Since Xu Ran had said like this, how could the two of them not understand?

The runner immediately shook his head, "Since that's the case, forget it! The owner may also not be at home."

Xu Ran nodded hurriedly. "I think so. I live near the house and haven't seen them for a long time."

The two runners looked at the bamboo house, which was the only one next to the green brick house, and then pointed at it, asking, "Is this your house?"

Xu Ran nodded, "My life is not very good since I am guilty of burying myself in books. I've realized that before I think about studies, I should live a good life. Furthermore, because the exam is two years away, I decide to buy this mountain with everything I own."