ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS

CHAPTER 21

"What did you just say?" He turns around and Jen and Max join us in time, looking relieved to find us in one piece.

"Where were you guys?" I ask them.

"Nicholas asked to wait near the shop you went to and he came in looking for you." Max answers me. I can see that his shoulders are stiff and sweat is dripping from his forehead. Jen looks weary too.

"Answer my question!" I hear Nicholas shout angrily. He is now standing turned fully towards me.

"What question?" I ask not realizing what did he ask me before.

"What did you call me?" His eyes bore into mine

"What did I call you?" I ask not understanding his question. I look at Max and Jen and they look at me like I have made a mistake. I remember then understanding what he means.

I called him Nick. Shit. Shit and crap load of shit! It's just me who called him by this name. It used to annoy him. I look down breaking the eye contact and he asks me again. I try to cover up the mess I've made. He can't know not today.

"I called you Nicholas. It's your name isn't it?" I try to keep my voice as normal as I could.

"No."

"No?"

"You called me Nick and...."he licks his lips "...and only one person..." he trails off.

"You knew about my allergy, didn't you? Max wasn't even paying attention to where I was at that wedding."

"What?" I ask trying to be unaware of the fact, "Nicholas comm'on Nick can be a short version for Nicholas and believe me or not and Max told me about your allergy." But he is not listening to me.

He speaks again, "You knew every little detail about me, about Avery, her things. Heck you even behaved like her most of the times," he laughs bitterly.

"What are you talking about?" I ask trying to cover up somehow.

The sky is getting darker and there are no stars today but clouds, the air getting thicker and the temperature falling. The two men have passed out on the ground and Nicholas looks like he is ready to kill. I know tonight's not going to be a good one.

"I mean that you have been fooling me, betraying my trust and making me think that I am a cheat." He brushes his hair with his hand making them messier.

"Still, not getting it." I say but I know it's a lost battle. Max and Jen stand there not meeting my eyes. How did Nicholas get here?

"Stop pretending. I know it's you." He grabs my shoulders and shakes me. "Why did you do this?" He asks me a question he doesn't want an answer to.

"Nicholas..." I try to explain but he cuts me.

"Don't tell me that it's not you because I know." He looks in Daphne's direction and the dagger fallen near his feet.

"I don't deny." I say closing my eyes tightly and he leaves me.

"Please listen to me..." Max tries to interrupt but he shuts him.

"You knew, you both knew who she was from the very beginning, didn't you?" He circles around to look at them.

"Tell me everything," He commands Max, "I don't trust her enough to tell me the truth anymore."

"Nicholas!" I exclaim shocked by the harshness of his tone and the choice of his words. He doesn't even bother to look at me.

Jen starts for Max and they both explain all the events turn by turn. Including us finding the clues and how they got to know about me.