IT'S A SMALL WORLD

CHAPTER 6

After a twenty minute ride we stop in front of a small building my eyes prickle and I jump in the seat and give a tight hug to Jen tear falling from my eyes

"I knew you would like it," she says proudly.

"I love it!" I hug her even tighter as she says it. St. Carmel's is an orphanage, the closest place to my heart after my home.

"Are planning on choking me?"

I leave her and she laughs. We pay and walk down the narrow pavement which leads to the entrance. We enter a square room and tiny heads scattered here in there. I spot Jeffery. My favorite, a five year old looking one of the rainbow painted walls. I silently sneak behind him.

"Hey..." I say softly so he doesn't scare of my sudden appearance. He doesn't turn around I try again but no response. I turn to look at Jen and she gives me the same look of bewilderment. I tap lightly on his shoulder and then he turns around and looks at me, a steady smile appears on his face and it vanishes the enthusiasm when he meets me every time is not there.

"Hey little buddy..." I ruffle his blonde hair. "Why is my favorite kid not happy to see me? Have you found a new favorite?" I ask him in mock indignation. He lowers his head and does not meet me in eye.

"Jeff are you okay?" Jen asks kneeling next to me.

"No. I am not." He says in his baby voice.

"Why? What happened?" I place my hands on his tiny shoulders.

"Someone has adopted me." He says in a small voice.

"Isn't it great?!? You always wanted a family right?" I say excitedly and look at Jen. She looks concerned too.

"Yes. I will have a mom and dad. But I won't be able to live with my friends anymore and I won't be able to meet you and Jen."

Jen takes his hand in hers and strokes his back with a sad smile.

"Ava it's you! You are back. I missed you so much." A chirpy little voice of a small girl rings behind me.

It's Sarah. She climbs onto me and kisses me on my cheek. I laugh. Looks like everyone noticed that we are here. They all huddle around us.

"What have you got for us today?" Sarah asks us holding on to her tiny pony tails.

'Look what I have made?" Anna a four year old shows a sketch of a tree to us.

"I got a new remote control car." Ted says holding the car in his hand.

"The Halloween party was awesome! I dressed like wonder woman." Dinah takes her turn to talk

Looking at their happy faces I turn to see Jeff, he is now smiling too. Jen brings out a box of candies from her bag and hands each one of them. I pull out one extra and secretly hand it to Jeff and tell him that everything was going to be ok. Smile spreads on his face like sunrise. He pushes his glasses up and nods at me.

"What is going on out there?" I hear a sweet voice. "Is someone hurt?"

By the sound of it she seems concerned. I think she can't see us because we are sitting down and the children are busy talking and eating their candies so they might have not realize that she is asking them.

She towers over us and brings down the spectacles from her head to her eyes.

"It's just you girls." She relaxes when she sees us sitting on the floor cross legged.

Jen gives her a slight wave of hand and I jump up and hug her. Mrs. Scott here is the manager of this orphanage and I guess she is the perfect person for this job. She has this motherly vibe around her. She pats me on the back and asks, "Where have you been?"