The Sokovia Accords||78

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass . . . I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives . . . but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some . . . who would prefer the word "vigilantes"." Secretary Ross said. 

I started zoning out. We are dangerous we do need someone to put us in checks but where this was going I didn't want to. Ross had great points.

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Nat asked. 

"How about "dangerous"? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" He turned on the screen behind him and started playing footage.

"New York" People screaming and running terrified of Banner as Hulk. "Washington DC" Planes crashing from when Steve was trying to get Bucky back and end Hydra. "Sokovia" I tense up at the name knowing it was Wandas home, Pietro died there. "Lagos" The footage of Wanda losing control of her powers and the building going into flames. I look over at Wanda who took in a deep breath and looked down. 

"Ok. That's enough" Steve said.

He nods and turns off the screen turning his attention back on us. "For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." He placed a thick book in front of Wanda, I look over her shoulder seeing if I could get a better angle at it.

"The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries . . . it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary." Ross said, 

Steve looked up and with a firm tone he made it clear, "The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that."

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Ross fought back. "If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes . . . you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." 

I feel like this is different though. Banner didn't ask to turn into green giant with anger issues, I didn't ask to have my powers. It could be because I was barely paying attention, but I didn't see how he could possibly compare the two. That's his job, but Banner could quit Avenging and still have that green giant inside of him.

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. Talk it over." Ross said, 

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Nat asked. 

"Then you retire" Ross said then existing the room. Well, this is going to be a blast.

Sam and Rhodes were having an argument about the Accords while I was talking to Wanda. "Are you going to sign?" She asked, "Each team has great points, sure we could be reckless at times but how were police with guns and the army supposed to handle a portal opening up while space creature came out." Wanda nods at my little rant. 

"But if we don't sign, and something greater happens we can't fight." Vision stepped in and started talking to all of us, but I was too busy in my thoughts to focus on him.

"Tony. You are being uncharacteristically non-hyper-verbal." Nat said, I look up and over at Tony on the couch. "It's because he's already made up his mind." Steve said.

Tony: "Boy, you know me so well. Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache." He started to walk to the kitchen grabbing a mug for coffee. "That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort." He set his pone in a bowl and it started to project an image of a boy. 

"Oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA. Had a floor level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where, Sokovia. He wanted to make a difference; I suppose. I mean, we won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass. There's no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check! Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys."

Steve: "Tony, someone dies on your watch, you don't give up."

Tony: "Who said we're giving up?"

Steve: "We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blames."

Rhodes: "I'm sorry. Steve. That - that is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not SHIELD, it's not HYDRA."

Steve: "No, but it's run by people with agendas, and agendas change."

Tony: "That's good. That's why I'm here. When I realized what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down and stop manufacturing."

Steve: Tony, you chose to do that. If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose. What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there is somewhere we need to go, and they don't let us? We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own.

Tony: If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact. That won't be pretty.

Wanda: "You're saying they'll come for me."

Vision: "We would protect you." I give Vision an unsettling look before Wanda takes my hand and calms me down. Don't get me wrong I like that he's protecting her I just don't like him that much.

I can tell he has a thing for Wanda, and she notices it too and always lets him down gently, me on the other hand wanted to crush him. Literally, I can manipulate metal. I got a few dents in until she stopped me.

Nat: "Maybe Tony's right. If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off-"

Sam: "Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?" I look at Nat surprised, but can't say I'm all to shocked.

Nat: "I'm just . . . I'm reading the terrain. We have made . . . some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back."

Tony: "Focus up. I'm sorry, did I just mishear you or did you agree with me?"

Nat: "Oh, I want to take it back now."

Tony: "No, no, no. You can't retract it. Thank you. Unprecedented. Okay, case closed--I win." Just then Steve's phone buzzes, his mood didn't change much but I knew something bad happened. Peggy, he told me he went to see her one day, and of course she's like 100 years old. That's probably it.

"I have to go." Steve said getting up and heading to what I assume to be the funeral.