the female titan

A small hand planted itself on the top of your head, playfully ruffling your hair.

"Good-morning, Smith." Petra cheerfully beamed with golden, morning sunlight highlighting her pretty face: "You ready for the expedition today?"

It had been two days since the Royal Ball, and your contact with Reiner Braun had been minimal. He'd attempted to converse with you numerous times, but you brushed him off; you couldn't quite explain why, even to yourself, but you no longer wanted to be in the presence of the blonde. You wanted to be as far as physically possible from him.

Eren placed his hand on your shoulder to greet you, giving you a firm nod.

"Good morning." You softly sighed as your Captain emerged, briefly and briskly explaining the mission.

The ebony-haired male saddled his horse, gesturing for you and Eren to follow behind: "It's confidential. Just follow my orders, and don't do anything idiotic." Levi's piercing glare intensified as he stared daggers in your direction, "Y/N."

"Hey." You snapped.

"Follow my lead, and don't stray away from me." Levi carried on, before beginning to lead the troops away on his brown-stallion as the beginning of the mission began.

      ༺♰༻

You rode with your Squad through the plaines as you breached the boarders of the tall forest. Your eyes were peeled wide-open for any titans.

Your thighs ached from riding as your fingers tightened around the reigns of your horse, still charging forward through the thick trees: you could the hear low, distant grunts of soldiers beyond the trees but couldn't make out what direction they were from.

You brought your wrist up to your brow, wiping off your sweat; you raised your shirt slightly, fanning your chest and stomach to draw off any heat. The air around you became still and thick as you raised your brow.

And that was when you began to hear thuds; foot steps. Foot steps so heavy that they could only belong to one thing: a titan.

Instinctively, your head spun to lock onto the titan. You cursed beneath your breath at the sight, horror paralysing your body.

"What the hell is that?" You gasped, alerting your squad mates of the abnormal titan that was closely following your trail, "Levi!"

Levi did not respond as if he was completely unaffected by the presence of the female bodied titan with pure hunger-lust in its sky blue eyes.

Feeling the natural impulse to protect those around you, you swiftly began to draw your blades. They audibly grazed against the metallic casing they were kept in, capturing the attention of your Captain.

Levi extended his arm towards you with a glare so cold it could have froze you in place: "Smith. Not now!" He sternly scolded you whilst watching your head innocently tilt with confusion.

The titan was getting closer and closer towards your friends, its heavy feet carving dents in the grass below. You swallowed your spit, struggling to contain your composure around the rest of your Squad.

"Move faster." Levi calmly ordered you all, enforcing you to pick up the speed of your horse Sunshine.

Petra, noticing your obvious distress as the female titan began to increase its speed: "Don't worry, Y/N," She softly exclaimed with a forced smile, "You're safe - we're all here beside you. I won't let anything happen to my favourite Scout!"

The rest of your Squad obeyed Levi's orders, all apart from Eren: the brunette was frantically arguing with your Captain, obviously petrified of the titan that was following your movements.

"Captain Levi?" You interjected, your speed meeting his as you skilfully rode alongside him, "What's my father's plan? Does Hange need the titan for experimentation?"

"Erwin has a plan," The brooding man explained with his eyes slowly meeting with the sky above, as if searching for something in the trees, "And all I can do is follow it."

You nodded, placing your trust in your Captain and childhood friend.

A few minutes passed as you frantically sped through the thick forest, beads of sweat trickling down your temples. Your horse suddenly squealed as a large noise stirred behind you all; you turned your shoulder to witness the female titan become swarmed in a trap of your fathers.

Your petrified gaze flickered upwards, meeting with the figure of your father in the trees. You realised that when Levi was staring upwards, he was searching for a sign of your father.

You sighed with relief that the female bodied titan had been stopped.

"I've never seen a titan like that before," Petra whispered to you beneath her breath as you pulled yourself off of your horse, "You see something new every day, I guess."

The titans crystal-blue pupils were stuck to you like glue - even when you moved towards the side, it's gaze followed you intensely. Its lips were stretched into a cold-hearted scowl.

"It looks so eerily familiar," You muttered to the strawberry-blonde girl as she sympathetically smiled, "I could have sworn that I've seen its face before."

"You did well today, Y/N Smith." She ruffled your hair once more - ruffling your hair was something that Petra Ral had done every time she saw you since she had first met you when she was fifteen, "I'm sure that Erwin will be proud - not just anyone can keep their cool in a situation like that, especially a newbie."

You placed your hand on top of hers with a bashful laugh, watching her cheeks glow with a radiant beam.

"Come find me in the Mess Hall when our mission has been completed," The nineteen year old waved, beginning to step away to talk with Uluo, "I'll treat you to a cup of tea."

"I'd like that!" You beamed widely back, before lacing your fingertips with the gears of your ODM to go and explore the nearby forest - wanting to stretch your throbbing legs before leaving the area.

You wondered what your friends were doing, and how they were finding the mission. Had they crossed this mysterious titan, too?

You began to trace your fingertips against the cracked bark of trees, beginning to wonder off on your own. Your eyes stared lifelessly into the dirt ground.

You wondered if Reiner was okay.

You loathed how much you cared.

You felt pathetically restless whilst not knowing if Reiner Braun was safe, unable to find peace in your mind. Your brain concentrated on only the worst possible outcomes of the mission, imagining horrific images that made your face cringe.

"God, Y/N," You cursed yourself beneath your breath, "Please stop thinking about Reiner. Please."

Less than two minutes had passed when you heard a roar from the distance, birds taking flight to escape the booming sound. You instinctively attached your gear to the bark of a thick tree, seeking refuge from a herd of titans that were beginning to rampage towards the roar.

Your mind was finally no longer thinking about Reiner.

Your body hugged the tree, struggling to catch your breath as more titans swarmed.

You struggled to comprehend what the noise was, and only began to move towards the sound when there were no more titans in the nearby area.