deal with the devil

You laughed, your mood suddenly lifted.

Reiner's calm demeanour transformed into a sour frown as he realised you were laughing at his proposition. His eyebrow raised up with a scowl, crossing his muscular arms over his large chest.

"What?" His deep voice purred, "Why are you laughing?"

"Did you hit your head in that battle, Reiner?" You teased as the blonde began to regret talking to you at all, "You don't like me: not romantically, not even platonically. Why the hell would you want to be my boyfriend?"

"Relax, dumb-ass." Reiner frowned, "It's only to make Christa jealous. Think of it as a business deal," He began to explain his thought-out plan in a calm voice, "We tell people we're dating, and I get to show how devoting, attentive, and caring I am as a partner. Then, maybe, Christa will see me for who I am and we can end the deal with a staged break-up."

"She'll see you for who you are?" Your eyes rolled back, "By lying to her and everyone else? Nice plan."

"And if you don't want to do this, I can think of other ways you can repay me for saving your life." A sinister and prideful smirk stained his face as he leaned forward, "Ways you would like a lot less than this."

"You wouldn't dare."

"Believe me, sweetheart," Reiner's face was now just an inch from yours as you felt his breath against your lips with each word he spoke: "I would."

"God!" You snapped, your body tensing, "I hate you, Reiner. I genuinely despise you with all of my heart!"

"Womp. Womp." He stuck his thumb down, "Suck it up and deal with it."

You scrunched your nose, glancing around you as you realised a few of your fellow Cadets were staring in your direction: they had puzzled expressions as they attempted to justify why you and Reiner Braun would be talking. It was a known fact within your Regiment that you and Reiner loathed each other: although no one quite knew why.

"Why me?"

"Hm?" Reiners head tilted to the side as of surprised you would ask him.

"Why me of all people?"

"A few reasons." He began to confess as his broad shoulders shrugged, "For starters, dating someone I've hated so much will show that I'm emotionally mature - I'm ready for a relationship, and can forgive the past."

"That.. makes sense."

"Besides," The blonde carried on, "I won't deny that you're pretty, and popular too, having you by my side wouldn't be a bad look. This is about making her jealous, after all."

You couldn't believe you were genuinely considering his proposition: "I knew you could be stupid, but I never thought you could be so desperate."

"Just think about it? Promise me that." His soft voice spoke amongst the crackling flames as the fire began to slowly die out, "Not just for my benefit, but for yours as well. You have feelings for Eren, don't you?"

You flinched, your head shooting up with curiosity.

"Eren looks up to me - just imagine how jealous he could be when he sees us together," Reiner's soft smile returned once more as he realised you were beginning to see his side: "Men always want something they can't have."