warmth

You could feel cold, late-winter sunlight from the windows peer onto your face as you scrunched your nose. Your eyes slowly fluttered open, a yawn leaving your parted lips as you began to wake up. Your mind took a moment to adjust to your surroundings, feeling shocked as you woke up in the arms of your once sworn rival.

You could feel Reiner's warm body wrapped around yours, one of his arms was tightly hooked around your waist from behind: his body spooning yours beside the burnt out fire. His other arm was beneath your head as a pillow.

Reiner's face was relaxed as he slept: his soft lips parted to inhale slow breaths and his expression appearing almost-happy. He looked genuinely at peace whilst he slept.

You closed your eyes for a little longer, holding on be to his body a little tighter to savour the moment together. You let out a long sigh, able to hear the subtle beats of his heart through his chest - you could smell his cologne that had rubbed off on you during your sleep. The fabric of his clothes felt soft against your skin.

You swallowed, feeling him sigh against your neck at the sound of your teeth gently beginning to chatter in the cold air of the office. Your pyjamas had no effect on the temperature - if anything, it felt as though they were making you colder.

You began to slip out of his embrace, deciding to go and change into something warmer to wear. However, just as you sat up, you felt his hand grab hold of your wrist.

"Where are you going?" Reiner's morning voice was raspy and hoarse, sending waves of shivers down your spine, "And, without saying goodbye?"

"I'm cold." Was all you responded with, "I was going to change into some winter clothes, I didn't want to wake you."

He lifted his arm, slowly wrapping it tighter around your waist as he pulled your body back down. Your back rested against his torso and chest, his hand tightly holding onto yours. You felt your body ease at his touch, relaxing into the warmth he radiated.

"I don't care," He whispered, "Your body feels so warm - don't leave. Just hold me."

You sighed with relaxation.

You gently chuckled whilst layering your arms on top of his, "Is that any better?"

He nodded with a murmur, cuddling against you once more.

He brushed some of the hair away from your face before allowing himself to relax with you, his bronze eyes fluttering shut as his cheek pressed against the crook of your shoulder. Reiner's body fit against yours perfectly like a glove, or a puzzle piece.

Despite feeling so tired, you felt too anxious to fall back asleep. Your eyes stayed open, your heart racing rapidly beneath your shirt.

"Christa will start looking for us soon," You breathlessly spoke, glancing up at the clock above the fire place, "We're supposed to be meeting her in ten minutes, and neither of us are even chang-"

Reiner covered your mouth with his palm, whispering softly: "Shush." Before he slowly began to drift back into a deep sleep, "Christa can wait."

"I thought you had feelings for her - shouldn't you be excited about going out with her today?"

"How can I be my best self if I'm exhausted and in a shitty mood?" He mumbled incoherently, "Let's just lie here for a while more."