a royal ball

The ride home was pure silence, only a few Scouts had made it back from the mission. Your father rode beside you, Levi on your other side, none of you speaking of the expedition you had just endured.

You used your left hand to cover the bloody wound on your right thigh, cascading your cape around your body. You didn't want to worry your father or Levi, so kept the injury to yourself.

You kept seeing Reiner out of the corner of your eye: his bronze iris's were fixed in front of him. He rode far away from you, barely apart of the group as he slowly drew behind.

Your heart ached: deeply. Your brain was muddled with confusion as to why he had reacted like that towards you - even for Reiner, it was harsh.

It was nightfall by the time you arrived back in the walls; the stars twinkled above you as silver rays of light seeped into your skin. Your eyes slowly drifted closed, exhaling softly as mist left your lips.

You pretended there was no one else in the world but you; you pulled yourself completely out of your own body. And for a few moments, it worked: silence filled your ears. You fell into a deep, calm relaxation that seized your mind.

Or at least, that was until your father snapped you back into reality.

"Y/N." Erwin Smith sternly called out with his thick brows pierced together.

"Have you been paying attention to anything that Erwin has said to you?" Levi scoffed, shaking his head: "Listen to him, for god-sake."

Your father, the Commander, thanked the short Captain with an egotistical smirk.

Your E/C eyes subtly rolled backwards into your skull as you murmured out loud: "Even without a mother, it's like having two-parents at once."

Whilst Levi buried his face in his hands with a hint bashfulness, Erwin began to explain what was becoming of the next month: "There's a ball being held by King Fritz in six weeks time, and I've been invited as the Commander of the Survey Corps. And seeing as you're my kin, you're expected to join me."

"Is Levi joining us, too?"

"No, thankfully." Levi shook his head, his silver eyes piercing daggers into the road ahead: "But, Hange will be there."

"You're allowed to invite a plus-one, as well." Erwin carried on, "I don't expect you to sit with me and Hange all evening, as well as the other soldiers, to discuss business. It's only fair that I allow you to bring someone else. Although, Eren Yaeger should be making an appearance, too."

"I guess I'll bring Reiner." Your voice lowered: cold eyes now glaring towards the saddle of your horse, unsure on how to ask him after your two arguments earlier that day.

"I thought you would say that." The ebony haired man tutted.

"Reiner?" Erwin squinted in curiosity: "Who's Reiner?"

"I'll explain later, Erwin." Levi raised his hand in defeat whilst all of you began to slow your pace, finally reaching the Barracks.

༺♰༻

You winced, applying pressure to the wound on your thigh. Your body was sprawled on the counter of the upstairs toilets; blood-soaked tissues and medical ointments covered the tilted surface.