Chapter 29: Hero Too

Kamanari didn't know what to do. He couldn't bear to the see the love of his life being threatened like this. Especially by his father figure.

"Woah easy now Tomura"

Kamanari pleaded as he raised both his hands and slowly took a step forward. Jirou tried to secretly plug in her jacks for a surprise attack but Shigaraki saw it coming and tightened his grip on her neck. 

"Ah Ah Ah.  Not so fast there missy"

He chuckled, admiring the tortured look on Kamanari's face. He knew he was never going to be walking out of here a free man.  He was all alone, surrounded by more than capable teenagers and the number one hero.  But he could still make Kamanari suffer for ruining his big plans.

"So this is the little brat who stole your heart.  I'm disappointed Denki.  I thought you were stronger than this.  We were supposed to rule the world together but you were too weak to see it through"

Jirou thought she recognized that voice and a startling realization slowly dawned over her. 

"It was you.  That day at the mall...."

"Very clever Miss Jirou.  You shouldn't have corrupted his heart though.  You would have lived longer"

Shigaraki laughed as he kicked Jirou in the back of the leg causing her to fall on her knees.  Kamanari braced for the worse when he felt a small metallic ball slip into his hand. 

"Throw this when you need to.  Courtesy of Bakugo"

Hagakure whispered in his ear.  He couldn't lie, she scared the shit out of him, but he remained emotionless to not give away anything to Shigaraki.

"This is what you get when you choose to defy me Denki.  Now say goodbye to your little girlfriend"

Kamanari knew Shigaraki was very dangerous in close quarters combat, but that didn't matter right now.  The only thing on his mind was saving Jirou.

This is it.  Gotta make this count.  Let's see if your little toy really works Bakugo

Kamanari reeled back and threw the object as hard as he could, revealing it to be a small hand grenade.  It exploded in the air, a foot away from Shigaraki as he let go of Jirou, raising both arms in front of his face to brace himself.  Kamanari sprinted as fast as he could, launching himself at Shigaraki while kicking Jirou out of the way.   He tackled Shigaraki to the ground, pinning his wrists down so the villain couldn't use his quirk.  His eyes were burning with hatred and vengeance as he charged up a fatal amount of electricity.  He was about to release the killing blow when his eyes glanced over at Jirou.  She looked almost afraid, like she didn't recognize the boy in front of her.  He took a deep breath as he negated the energy, not wanting to resort to killing.  The battle was over, and a true hero doesn't take lives. 

"It's over Tomura"

Shigaraki's face twisted into an evil grin. 

"You're right.  It is over"

He whistled as Dabi shot a small fireball from his mouth from across the room.  Bakugo immediately set off an explosion right in his face knocking him out but it was too late.  Kamanari was forced to take his hands off of Shigaraki to dodge giving the villain an opportunity to strike.  With lightning speed he reached out and grabbed Kamanari, securing all five fingers around his wrist.

Kamanari got up in anguish, clutching his hand which was slowly crumbling to dust.  He dropped to his knees as the effect of the quirk started to spread up his arm towards his shoulder.