Chapter 19: Busted

Kamanari froze in fear as he heard his name called.  His hand just a few inches from the door handle.  His heart started beating faster and faster as his palm started to sweat. He turned around to see Aizawa storming up the stairs soaking wet, his fists clenched in anger. 

"You know that leaving campus without permission is against the rules.  Where did you go?"

Aizawa demanded. He grabbed Kamanari by the collar and yanked him close. 

"I know I know I'm sorry Mr. Aizawa.  My dad was in the hospital and I just had to go see him.  He's all I have left!"

Kamanari lied as he pretended to fake cry.  Aizawa remembered reading over the boys file which said he used to live alone with his adopted father after his parents died in a car crash.  He let go of Kamanari, understanding the pain the boy appeared to be in.  After all, he lost both his real parents and tonight he almost lost another. 

"Is he all right? Your father?"

Aizawa asked calmly in his usual demeanor. 

"Yeah he'll be all right thankfully.  A villain mugged him a few blocks from our apartment"

Kamanari fake sniffed as he wiped away a rain drop that looked like a tear.  His nervousness caused him to shake with fear, which helped sell the crying bit.  Aizawa seemed to buy it as he lightly rubbed the boys head sympathetically. 

"I understand.  I won't reprimand you this time but it better not happen again.  From now on if you wish to leave you come talk to me or another faculty member first you got it?"

Kamanari nodded as he turned to enter the dorm. 

"Wait just a minute"

Kamanari felt the nerves again as turned back around. 

"Good job today on your performance.  I had no idea you could play guitar like that.  Mic was very impressed"

Aizawa grinned giving him a rare thumbs up. 
Kamanari silently exhaled in relief.

"Thank you sir.  It was all thanks to Jirou.  She worked extra hard making sure we were in tip top shape for the concert"

He replied beaming. 

"Keep up the good work.  I'll see you in class on Monday"

Aizawa muttered as he disappeared into the rain.  Kamanari watched him go before entering the common room.  It was pretty late so most of his classmates had already gone to bed.  Only Kirishima, Jirou, Asui, and Sero remained awake.

"Ayyyy there he is?"

Kirishima pointed at Kamanari as he lounged on the couch. 

"Where did you go? Mr. Aizawa was looking for you ribbit"

Asui asked him hopping over to where he stood. 

"I went home for a bit.  My dad was attacked outside our apartment"

Kamanari replied, faking a sad look on his face.   Everyone immediately fell silent.  The happy atmosphere was gone as if a dark gloomy cloud hung over their heads.

"Is he ok?"

Jirou asked sympathetically as she placed a hand on his shoulder.  Even though Kamanari wasn't actually sad, her touch filmed him with warmth and comfort.

"Yeah he'll be all right.  There's nothing to worry about really"

He said looking down at the floor. 

"Well hey man if you ever need anything we're all here for you.  After all we're your friends right?"

Kamanari didn't know what to say.  These heroes, these selfish bastards.  Actually cared about his feelings more that just what he could do.  Who made him feel like he actually mattered.  Over the course of his time at UA, he had slowly stopped seeing them as the enemy who needed to be destroyed, and started seeing them as friends.  As family.  In fact, he was beginning to question whether or not he could actually pull the trigger when the time came.  All these conflicting emotions made him break down and he started shedding real tears.

His friends immediately rushed him pulling the boy into a group hug as he started crying even harder.  No words were needed.  Just the comforting support of friendship. 

"Thank you guys.  Sorry I'm like this"

Kamanari said after he calmed down. 

"You have nothing so be sorry for Kamanari"
Asui croaked.

"Yeah I can only imagine what you're going through"

Jirou added remembering when he told her about his parents deaths.  Her heart felt for the boy in more ways than she cared to admit. 

"Well it's getting late I think I'm gonna go catch some z's ribbit"

Ausi yawned as she stretched her arms. 

"Same here. I'll see you all tomorrow"

Kirishima waved goodbye as he walked up the stairs.  Kamanari turned to follow but Jirou grabbed his elbow preventing him from moving.  She looked incredibly nervous.  Her face was red and she was twirling her ear jacks.  Something she always did when she on edge.

"What's up Jirou"

He asked confused at what would be making her so uncomfortable.  She stood still, unable to get the words out of her mouth as she fumbled around thinking of what to say. 

"Uhhhhhh never mind just wanted to say goodnight.  Bye!"

She quickly hurried into the elevator spamming the button as she made her way up to her dorm. 

What was that all about?

Kamanari shook his head and took the stairs up to his floor.  Upon opening the door he flopped face first onto his bed, passing out without even changing out of his rain soaked clothes.