four!

4 years later
__________

(sorry for big time skip)

josh: happy birthday munchkin!

i go into brookes room to wake her up. she sits up and giggles. it still melts my heart to this day.

brooke: daddy!!
josh: hmm how old are you again? 3?
brooke: no daddy. dis many

she holds up 4 fingers and i laugh.

josh: good job princess

i pick her up out of the crib she still has and go downstairs.

carmen: hello birthday girl!
brooke: fanks

i lift her up onto a chair at the table.

steven: here ya go

he sets a plate of chocolate chip pancakes in front of her along with a chocolate milkshake in her sippy cup. he always made this for katelyn on her birthday and has now been doing the same for me. finally, brooke is able to eat solid foods. after we finish breakfast,

josh: grammy and pappap are coming over later. so are all your aunts and uncles

that means my siblings and my friends.

josh: but right now, why don't we go shopping for your bed bed huh?
brooke: ya!

we go up to her room and put her in a dress. my sister liv has taught me how to do brookes hair, so today i put it in two high pigtails.

then we head to lowe's.

•••

we pick out some light pink paint. then we find a bed that she likes. it's a double bed meaning it's big enough for her to grow into. we pick new curtains and i even let her pick out some toys since it's her birthday. then we load everything into the car and head home. steven helps me unload the truck while brooke and carmen color at the table.

•••

steven and i finally finished putting together brookes bed and painting her walls. i bring her up and she smiles.

brooke: fank you daddy!!!!!

she hugs my leg making me smile.

•••

i go out to get the mail. i sort through it until i see the one i was hoping not to see. i open it and read the letter.

•••

josh,

i hope your doing well. tell our daughter happy birthday for me. i miss you both. there's 200 dollars in the back of the envelope for her. i'm still sorry i left. but i hope everything is working out for you with the company and our child. also, i don't know if you already have, but you should move on. i'm not coming back. maybe you have moved on but still. i just want you and our daughter to be safe and happy. i still love you both.

love, katelyn

•••

here we go again. every year on brookes birthday she sends a letter with money in it. it just makes me mad. i can take care of brooklyn and myself. i make a lotta money and always have the money she left for backup. so why does she keep sending money? and you know what's sad? she doesn't even know her daughters own god damn name. she would know if she left me someway to tell her. but no.

••••••••••••••••